No fuel pump - Good news

Roger Lee

Hi All,

I went out yesterday and did a test. I wanted to see how our plane did on gravity feed with no fuel pump. We took a 2006 CTSW and pulled the fuel lines off the fuel pump and just joined them together so we only had gravity feed for fuel. We then ran the plane at 4900 static rpm on the ground which would equate to 5300-5400 rpm in the air. We ran that engine for 15+ minutes and it never coughed or sputtered. Engine temps and other parameters were all normal for a ground run. I guess you can call that good news because if you do loose a fuel pump you may be able to fly to a safe landing spot. For those without a fuel pressure gauge you may never know if it goes out during a flight? For those that have a Dynon D120 and the low fuel pressure alarm goes off then I would say fly the plane and if it coughs land if not keep going to an airport. This is not a 100% sure thing, but the results where sure promising.

Hi Roger. This isn't as exciting as your test for engine out landings but still good info. Thanks for doing these things and reporting your results. I know that I'd be looking for an airport if the Dynon showed zero fuel pressure because this could indicate a busted fuel line too. However, I don't have glass and wouldn't know if my pump had stopped so this info will provide me with some confidence that I'll make my destination if the pump breaks.

I'm waiting for you to give us a report on how well the BRS chute works!! Just kidding. Since I don't want anyone to have to use the BRS, I'll be totally satisfied if you never give a report about that one!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

The first fuel flow was a little flawed. The pump had been removed from the circuit and hoses joined, but that isn't how we fly. Today I removed the entire pump off the engine and left the hoses attached to allow fuel to flow through the pump. I ran it on the ground and at anything over 4100 rpm it would sputter and at 4800-4900 it was really rough. At 4000 rpm it did run and without any issues. That does mean you could still fly to a landing spot and use throttle to land. Once down I think your stuck.

So the news is still good, just not as good.

Archived