Oil Filter Mess - No Longer!

stevez2436

For those who change their own oil filter on the CTLS, I was always challenged on how to avoid the oil spill over the engine when taking off the filter. Today I read about a neat thing called Form-A-Funnel® Draining Tool. This funnel comes in several sizes and will allow you to direct oil spills away from the engine. This link gives a good description, but it can be picked up at local auto stores too:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/form-a-funnel.do?sortby=ourPicks

Steve

Clearwater, FL

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I've done the milk jug oil catcher like John and also have used thin aluminum sheet that I molded to fit but the drain you gave the link to looks like it would be "one size fits all" type drain that could be kept in one's tool box.

I was in Clearwater two weeks ago for a few days visiting in-laws. They live close to Safety Harbor near the intersection of Sunset Point and McMullen Booth. Went to Clearwater airport to see what was going on and it was absolutely quiet. No planes flying. Do you keep your plane there?

Steve, I've done the milk jug oil catcher like John and also have used thin aluminum sheet that I molded to fit but the drain you gave the link to looks like it would be "one size fits all" type drain that could be kept in one's tool box.

I was in Clearwater two weeks ago for a few days visiting in-laws. They live close to Safety Harbor near the intersection of Sunset Point and McMullen Booth. Went to Clearwater airport to see what was going on and it was absolutely quiet. No planes flying. Do you keep your plane there?

Dick -

I kept my 2010 CTLS in a shade hanger at KCLW for a little over a year. Very friendly facility and staff and like you said it is usually nice and quiet which is just fine with me. I recently sold my CTLS (N960CT) through John Hurst over at Sebring. He had it sold within 30 days and with the economy the way it is I was very impressed with how quickly he was able to find a buyer. I believe the new owner is down in the Ft. Myers area.

I hope to hop into another Flight Design in the future ... I really liked it. However, the purpose of owning it was to make trips back and forth to Baton Rouge, LA, but that reason went away and I couldn't justify the cost for occasional local flights.

Steve in Clearwater

I just use a take away container held under the filter don'tpost-22-0-45126400-1323338320_thumb.jpg cost anything ..

Mike

For those who change their own oil filter on the CTLS, I was always challenged on how to avoid the oil spill over the engine when taking off the filter. Today I read about a neat thing called Form-A-Funnel® Draining Tool. This funnel comes in several sizes and will allow you to direct oil spills away from the engine. This link gives a good description, but it can be picked up at local auto stores too:

http://www.griotsgar...sortby=ourPicks

Steve

Clearwater, FL

Archived