Front tire relief for the little guy

Roger Lee

The people with the smaller 4.00-4 4ply front tire have not had any options and tires were hard to come by. Desser has a 4.00-4 8 ply, but it needs 45-50 psi to keep it from slipping on the wheel during taxi or it will rip the stem out and it needs the pressure to give it the proper shape. It is a stout and well wearing tire, but needs to much pressure for us. It also has more rubber and sometimes high centers on the fork down tube inside and at the top of the fork.

There is an option here and it works very well. You can use a 10/3.50-4 and it is a nice 6 ply. The wheel is a 4" and so is the tire. The weight rating is 555 lbs. The tire profile of 3.50 is only 1" shorter which doesn't affect anything. Desser has these Aero Classic 10/3.50-4 6ply for $49.95.

• 2 months later...

Would that technically require an LOA? (unless experimental, of course).

Is there one?

As a data point, my Sky Arrow has a 4.10/3.50x4 Cheng Shin front tire that calls for 21.8 psi. With my pusher, there's very little weight on the front tire, though.

8 plys have a stiffer sidewall and usually more tread depth, but not always on the tread part. It is a little rougher ride, but they tend to hold up much better than 4 plys. The 8 plys need more air to give then shape and to keep them from rotating on the wheel.

Weight difference?

There is a weight allowance without a new WB.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying you can change a part that has only a small difference in weight and not perform a new weight and balance calculation? My understanding was the FAA no longer allowed a "negigable" weight difference and evertying had to be recorded. Help me out here, Roger.

Hi Ernie,

My only hang up with the 8 ply is it needs so much pressure to keep it's shape and keep it from turning on the rim so it doesn't pull an inner tube stem ( 40-50 psi). It also makes the ride a little rougher. What's wrong with the 6 ply I posted on the thread below. One way to get away with all the pressure and keep the tire from turning is use some tire glue. It's the same as the bikes use. Probably available from any bike shop. If my only choice at this moment was between the 4 ply and the 8 ply I would most likely stick with the 4 ply. Fronts don't wear very fast and not much weight on them.

Archived