An easy homemade carb balance gauge set

Roger Lee

Hi,

Great job Roger.

Long time ago, I made a DIY-instruction for a synchrotester. This selfmade-tester is meant to be used on motorbikes but will work with our Rotax as well.

The instruction is in german language but there are pictures inside for explanation. I think, you will understand the concept without understanding the words :rolleyes:

Regards

Markus

Synchrotester-Selbstbau.pdf

In the Uk we use a balance kit from Skydrive which has adapters to fit the 912 engine straight out of the box very easy to use i do mine on every service ..

Mike post-22-000341600 1277990648_thumb.jpg

There are those and actually many others would work. I just find some faster and esier to use.

Here are two more electronic versions. The Carbmate and Syncromate 2. The electronic modles do cost more. ask Jeremey from CPS about them next Wed. on the Live Chat at 1800 hrs. Pacific time.

I like these for accuracy, but I have a harder time figuring which carb I want to adjust to acquire the result I need. I think I have a better mousetrap here though. It is a hybrid. Cut the tubing up bay the instrument and tee in a needle gauge in line. This way you can get a quick fix on which carb you want to adjust and get it moving in the right direction and then look at the electronic side as you dial it in for accuracy. You get the best of both worlds.

post-3-050808100 1277993371_thumb.jpg post-3-063267800 1277993381_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

Those are a very normal set of gauges that people use around the world. Lockwood in the US has a set very much like those. The cost is about $85. I just ordered at set for someone. Mike, out of curiosity how much did yours cost? Do you have a set of needle valves in line to dampen the pulsing? In an old set I used to have they had a little plastic insert in the hose with a pin hole in the insert, but found the needle valve far superior.

Hi Roger

Yes they do have a set of adjustable valves for damping out pulses , they are £52.50 in UK http://www.skydrive.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=MEC08001%2FM ....The problem i find with digital/electrical gauges are they are a bit to accurate and fluctuate to much between red/green indicators and as you say are more expensive and battery's have a tendency to go flat at wrong moment :rolleyes: the normal gauges as skydrive are simple to use easy to read and fairly bullet proof ....

Mike

There are those and actually many others would work. I just find some faster and esier to use.

Here are two more electronic versions. The Carbmate and Syncromate 2. The electronic modles do cost more. ask Jeremey from CPS about them next Wed. on the Live Chat at 1800 hrs. Pacific time.

I like these for accuracy, but I have a harder time figuring which carb I want to adjust to acquire the result I need. I think I have a better mousetrap here though. It is a hybrid. Cut the tubing up bay the instrument and tee in a needle gauge in line. This way you can get a quick fix on which carb you want to adjust and get it moving in the right direction and then look at the electronic side as you dial it in for accuracy. You get the best of both worlds.

post-3-050808100 1277993371_thumb.jpg post-3-063267800 1277993381_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

Those are a very normal set of gauges that people use around the world. Lockwood in the US has a set very much like those. The cost is about $85. I just ordered at set for someone. Mike, out of curiosity how much did yours cost? Do you have a set of needle valves in line to dampen the pulsing? In an old set I used to have they had a little plastic insert in the hose with a pin hole in the insert, but found the needle valve far superior.

Archived