Traction safety tape foot rest in CTSW

Jim Meade

On long trips on A/P, I've often wished to shift my leg/foot position but the floor is smooth so the heel doesn't grab. A local CTSW owner uses wing walk material and likes it. I have a simillar traction tape hanging around the farm so thought I'd use that. But, I wondered about the sharp material cutting my shoe heels and wearing off and accumulating lord knows where. I saw a 3M traction tape in a hardware store labelled "indoor/outdoor". It has a less aggressive coating. Maybe not rough enough? I don't know. It comes in a 2" roll like the other traction tape. Cost about $10 for 15 feet or so - I forget. I put it one strip about 12" long on each side of the cabin floor compartment door.

It was colder than recommended when I put it on. We'll have to see if it will adhere or if I'll have to redo it according to directions. Round the corners so they don't peel up so easily.

Here it is from Amazon, but I got it cheaper locally.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-7647NA-Safety-Walk-Outdoor-180-Inch/dp/B000H5Q78C

If you like the more severe safety traction tape, you can get it in various widths to suit your preference.

The wing walk tape I installed in my CT for this purpose is the 3M product from Aircraft Spruce. Very effective, but, as Jim mentioned, somewhat like coarse sandpaper. Definitely abrades a small bevel on the heel of my shoe. I'm hoping that it will lose a bit of its sharp edge where it gets the most wear, otherwise I'll be duct taping my shoes...

I used some automobile floor mats with a square hole cut out of them and velcro around the stick and in front of the seat to keep it in place. I slotted the lower part so it stays under the rudder pedals. It is easy to slide up and gain access to the under floor locker when you need to get to your stuff there. See attached picture.

Larry

post-440-0-76087500-1323664236_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest rubyluise

Feeling great to know about all kind of safety tapes here. I just have confusion about the Incom RE3952 Black Gator Grip safety tapes. Is it worth to installed it? I have heard a lot about it.

Thanks

Hi Ruby,

That tape or the 3M brand work well to put along each side where the pilot and passenger put their feet. They can pull their feet back and relax without their feet slipping forward to the peddles. Placing your feet on the tape getting in also helps you push to get you butt in the seat. Some people have it and some don't.

Just personal preference.

Guest rubyluise

I really thankful to you. I just got relief from my confusion and It helps me a lot and best resources to getting the positive answer. Will you please help me that how much time I can use this safety tape?

Archived