Buying a new CTLS

CTLS JVE

Hi guys , I am considering buying a new CTLS , will be moving from and old 172, how the CT compare to the Cessna in turbulence?

In cross country are you able carry 2 small bags ?

Will use only 100LL, any problem flying only in AV Gas ?

Any help

Hello JVE,

The CTLS handles turbulance pretty well, just keep in mind it is a light aircraft (770lbs empty) so it will get disrupted a little easier then a heavy aircraft. That being said it penetrates really well at cruise speeds and has plenty of control authority at low speeds to counter disruptions.

It can haul a good load in the baggage, the bags just need to be soft sided and small enough to go thru the baggage doors. Once thru the doors on each side there is quite a lot of room in the baggage area for multiple bags on each side.

There is some added maintenance with using 100LL such as more frequent oil changes and lower times on things such as gear box inspections, spark plugs, cleaning the oil tank etc. There is a fuel additive called Declin that should be used to keep lead particals suspended in the oil, but does not change the maintenance intervals. It is best to run on Auto fuel if able, but 100LL is acceptable as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

My insurance is much higher since my LS is used for rental and instruction. Some others might chime in but typically you can plan on paying about 10% of your Hull value per year in most cases but not less then about $1000 per year.

I would do the Tundra gear for sure as there are a lot more tire options available. The Skyview is a nice system and I think worth the money, I look back and wish I would have gone that route, but the D100-120 combo is great as well and does everything I need. I do like new gadgets though so I always wish I had the latest and greatest.

Lighter is always better with LSA so the battery would be a good option too.

A typical annual on the LS should be between $600 to $1000 until the 5 year mark when the Rotax hoses would be due.

My wife and I made regular weekend trips in our 2010 CTLS from Clearwater, FL to Baton Rouge, LA and had no problems bringing along two soft-sided bags. Definitely recommend the full Dynon package and the Garmin 696 along with autopilot.

Great plane and I also used 100LL almost exclusively since mogas was not available locally. I put TCP additive for the lead and had no problems. However, I followed the recommended 25 hour oil/filter changes.

I transitioned from Cessna and Piper and I must tell you this plane Is great. it is fun and I think easy to fly, but you do have to watch your landings. you will love the low operating cost as well.

My insurance cost is $1700.00 this year and should be less at the next renewal.

Gary

Partnerships are not for me , always what to buy new and for the first time have the chance.

How maintain N293CT ? Anyone that you can recommend

I just started using Guardian Aviation in Siler City for the routine stuff. If any of your work requires a Flight Design shop, Chesapeake Aviation in Chesapeake, VA is good. I've talked with the guy in Louisburg who services the Remos GX, but I haven't used him.

Flight Design USA sells sight tubes that do not discolor. My friend's SW had them installed in July 2010 and they are crystal clear. I replaced mine in April of this year and they look perfect.

Which ones are they. I've bought 3 different types from them and I think they are selling a fourth.

My invoice lists it as, Item FS-Fuel Gauge. These tubes are extremely stiff. FDUSA ships them with a zip tie up through them to keep their U shape. Arian told me that he forms them around a jig he has. When you install them, do not let them straighten out. They will pinch over and lose their round shape. They are a hassle to install, but the results are what everyone has been looking for.

My invoice lists it as, Item FS-Fuel Gauge. These tubes are extremely stiff. FDUSA ships them with a zip tie up through them to keep their U shape. Arian told me that he forms them around a jig he has. When you install them, do not let them straighten out. They will pinch over and lose their round shape. They are a hassle to install, but the results are what everyone has been looking for.

Those! I put one set of those on in that time frame, but have not seen the airplane since. Now they say that we should not put them on. I still have 2 sets here. Now they are recomending the yellowish Tygon tubing.

And the yellow Tygon tubing makes it hard to see the level. A few of my customers have it and don't like it and $5 says it will stain eventually too. When I talked to the tubing companies they all told me they would eventually stain because plastic is not glass and has microscopic pours. 91 Oct. has brown dye in it. I figure 2 years and just change the tubes with poly vinyl for $. 75 cents a tube. Sometimes simple is better. I just consider it a time limited part. If you put the clamps in the right way and use a small screwdriver than can be replaced with a word or two without too much trouble.

Hello JVE,

The CTLS handles turbulance pretty well, just keep in mind it is a light aircraft (770lbs empty) so it will get disrupted a little easier then a heavy aircraft. That being said it penetrates really well at cruise speeds and has plenty of control authority at low speeds to counter disruptions.

It can haul a good load in the baggage, the bags just need to be soft sided and small enough to go thru the baggage doors. Once thru the doors on each side there is quite a lot of room in the baggage area for multiple bags on each side.

There is some added maintenance with using 100LL such as more frequent oil changes and lower times on things such as gear box inspections, spark plugs, cleaning the oil tank etc. There is a fuel additive called Declin that should be used to keep lead particals suspended in the oil, but does not change the maintenance intervals. It is best to run on Auto fuel if able, but 100LL is acceptable as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

After replacing the hoses twice now, the latest change resulted in a "kink" on both sight tubes. I use vinyl hose ("tygon") from the auto supply store. They still function OK and show proper fuel level because there isn't a need for a lot of fuel flow thru these but it they don't look that great. Reading this thread, It appears that the hoses from Arian @ FD are made from a very stiff material and they have been "formed" into an arc with tie wraps. Anyone have the same problem as me? I figure that the material in my hoses is not very stiff and allows the hose wall to collapse at the bend radius. I'm thinking if they were made longer or shorter it still wouldn't matter and they'd still kink.

Archived