Fat legs vs Skinny legs

DownUnderFlier

The CT2k has the 'small' diameter aluminium landing gear - apparently they bend & crack.

I would like to fit the optional 'heavy duty' landing gear available for CTSW to my CT2k.

I have had contradicting advice:

"Yeah, sure you can - need to change the wheel weldments and the fuselage brackets, too"

... and ...

"No way, can't be done"

Does anyone know definitively if the heavy duty CTSW landing gear can be fitted to the CT2k - I would expect to change the wheel weldments and the fuselage brackets to suit the fatter legs ?

Thanks.

Downunder, this is something that must have been done by someone but I don't recall seeing any posts for it. Maybe the experts here might know the details of doing this. The Tundra (fat) gear legs are put into the same airplane as the standard gear legs so I believe your assumption should be correct about just changing the bracketry. One thing you also may need to change are the spacers which are inside the leg fairings. One side comment - the fat legs definitely take a lot more of a load before bending but I have seen even the these fat legs in trash baskets after a low hour pilot let his speed fall off during landing and dropped the plane onto the runway.

The CT2k has the 'small' diameter aluminium landing gear - apparently they bend & crack.

I would like to fit the optional 'heavy duty' landing gear available for CTSW to my CT2k.

I have had contradicting advice:

"Yeah, sure you can - need to change the wheel weldments and the fuselage brackets, too"

... and ...

"No way, can't be done"

Does anyone know definitively if the heavy duty CTSW landing gear can be fitted to the CT2k - I would expect to change the wheel weldments and the fuselage brackets to suit the fatter legs ?

Thanks.

The parts and assembly manual I have says it is for the CT2K and CTSW. They do not have different landing gear parts listed in the manual for the 2 different airplanes. Tom

Downunder, My 2005 CTSW had the skinny legs and after bending one was converted to the fatter legs. Eventhough thr new legs are bigger they have the same diameter at the ends as the skinny legs. Beside the gear legs themselves, the only other changes are the bracketts on the fuselage bulkhead. The hard part was waiting 3 months for FD to send the parts. I do not think the skinny legs are available anymore.

Acresflyer, are the brackets that connect the legs to the axles and the brackets that connect the opposite ends of the legs (other than the plates that hold the legs against the bulkhead) the same for both standard and tundra legs? In other words, did you just have to replace the plates that hold the legs to the bulkhead and no other brackets when you changed to tundra legs? How about the spacers that are inside the leg fairings?

The parts and assembly manual I have says it is for the CT2K and CTSW. They do not have different landing gear parts listed in the manual for the 2 different airplanes. Tom

same for me and no difference in gear legs for tundra just the wheels & tires

Downunder, My 2005 CTSW had the skinny legs and after bending one was converted to the fatter legs. Eventhough thr new legs are bigger they have the same diameter at the ends as the skinny legs. Beside the gear legs themselves, the only other changes are the bracketts on the fuselage bulkhead. The hard part was waiting 3 months for FD to send the parts. I do not think the skinny legs are available anymore.

I also have a 2005 [ # 2 of 2005 ] could you tell me the diameter of the fuselage bracketts ? mine are 32mm inside

thanks

Dick and Jacques, Lockwood did the gear replacement on my 2005. They are the same legs as used on the 2006 and later CTSW's. I requested the old parts that were replaced and all they gave me back were the legs and the plates that hold the gear to the bulkhead. I am in Ohio for the holidays and will review the work order to see what was replaced and check the diameter when I get back to Florida.

Archived