Stabilizer and trim tab

Rogerck

When the trim tab on our 2006 CTSW is adjusted to maximum nose UP position, there is not adequate deflection to fly hands off at 63 kts, the recommended best glide speed. Similarly, max nose up trim will not trim the stick to zero pressure (a small amount of back pressure is still required) at 55 to 50 kts on final. Is this normal?

When viewing the trim tab on the ground in maximum nose DOWN position, the tab is almost level with the stabilizer, rather then pointing upward. Again, is this normal? In other aircraft that I have owned or seen, the trim tab adjustment has a definine upward to downward pointing range relative to the elevator? Are the aerodynamics of the CT/stabilator different?

Appreciate the input.

Roger K.

Trim should be adjusted as appropriate for every flight condition.  Yes, we often use muscle pressure to hold a position, but the problem with that is the instant you relax and divert your attention the plane goes to the attitude it is trimmed for.  Trim, trim, trim.  Trim often, trim a little at a time and keep trimming.  When I was in instructor I failed to adequately stress how much one must trim.  As one moves into bigger and bigger airplanes the issue of trim gets more and more important, but it's important in all aircraft.  

I know what you mean about the idea of in an engine out situation, you trim a Cessna to full up trim and it almost always settle to very near best glide. That takes a huge worry off in an emergency, as you simply roll all the trim in while looking at and thinking about other things. How much difference does your gross weight make, can you tell?

I can't offer any suggestions on the trim tab position adjustment.

There is more than one way to skin a cat or to fly an airplane but I am with Jim. When I was actively instructing I found that pilots having the hardest time maintaining a set airspeed while maneuvering were reluctant to trim for hands off flight. Once we got through that hangup, consistent airspeed issues melted away.

Archived