C162 Skycatcher on ebay

chanik

Never take off with a tailwind, no matter how small. I went up with an old and wise FedEx pilot just before my checkride. That was exactly the advice he gave me as I took off with a 2 knot tailwind.

This guy would still have an airplane if he would have done that.

Kurt,

I scanned through the online SkyCatcher POH and found no restriction on takeoff elevation. Service Ceiling is ~14.5K. There is a table of takeoff distances that stops at 8K, though. I wonder if the NTSB interpreted this as a limitation? Or I could've missed something in my 10 minute search rolleyes.gif

Never take off with a tailwind, no matter how small. I went up with an old and wise FedEx pilot just before my checkride. That was exactly the advice he gave me as I took off with a 2 knot tailwind.

This guy would still have an airplane if he would have done that.

It's not a bad idea to see what the POH says about any operation. I've flown bigger airplanes that had tailwind landing limitations of up to 10 knots. Glider Flying Handbook specifically recommends that if forced to land on sloping terrain, to land uphill regardless of wind direction.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with someone saying "I'll never do xxxx", but it doesn't hurt to check the POH and operating limitations to see if there are circumstances where something like a tailwind takeoff would be preferable. Like on some one-way mountain strips.

Like on some one-way mountain strips.

This.

For those of you who have watched the videos of departures and arrivals at my old base of Blue Ridge Skyport, you can see why blanket rules prescribing downwind takeoffs don't work.

RWY 19 is great for takeoffs, since it has a marked downhill slope. That also means that taking off on RWY 1 means taking off into rising terrain - even the runway itself rises.

For takeoff, the wind would have to be 15k or so from the north or so before I'd consider un uphill rising terrain takeoff. Similarly on landing I'd rather land with about a 15k tailwind and uphill than to try and flare as the runway is falling away - a weird feeling.

Anyway, I think it's mainly flatlanders that tend to make blanket statements like that.

Archived