Sport pilot exam questions

coppercity

I'm looking to compile a list of oral exam questions for sport pilot candidates to study but I need help with questions. Those of you that have taken the sport pilot practical test, or anyone that has sent a student on a sport pilot check ride think back to questions you were ask during your oral that may have stumped you or made you think a little harder. I'm especially interested in questions unique to the CT that an examiner may have ask during the preflight etc. thanks for the help and I will post the document once it's complete.

I took my PP checkride in my CTSW not long ago. I'm also working on my Light Sport Instructor rating so I'm a little bit familiar with this. My examiner gave me a detailed takeoff performance problem to work out in advance. He wanted to know takeoff roll distance and distance to clear a 50' object at a given airport (Reno) at a given temperature and altimeter. I don't know about the CTLS, but the SW only has numbers for standard temp and pressure, so I wrote a long solution using takeoff roll rule of thumb and the Koch chart for adjusting standard takeoff performance to the conditions on the question. Being an old-school examiner, he didn't believe me when I said the POH didn't have performance charts until I showed him. He accepted my solution to the problem. I'd be happy to scan the question and the answer and send it to you.

Other questions I can think of:

1. Why do we burp the Rotax engine? To force all of the oil out of the crankcase into the tank for an accurate oil level reading.

2. What inspection does Rotax recommend before each days flying? Remove the cowl and inspect the engine.

3. What would you look for? Fluid leaks, loose wires, frayed throttle or choke cables, anything out of the ordinary.

4. Why do we need the cloth bulkhead installed behind the baggage area? To prevent objects from sliding into the tailcone and jamming the flight controls. (possibly CTWS only)

5. What types and grades of fuel can we use in the aircraft? What is the preferred fuel? Where do we attach the ground clamp during fueling?

6. Where is the fire extinguisher? The ELT? If so equipped, the remote compass sensor for the Dynon? What precautions should you take when stowing cargo near the remote compass sensor?

7. Besides the FAA-required briefing about door latches and seat belts, what other advice and assistance should you give passengers before engine start? Adjust the seat position if needed, Dress the seatbelts so they are easy to use, how to get into seat (scoot into the seat then throw your legs over the stick). The BRS chute handle.

8. What should the minimum oil temperature be before takeoff? Why?

9. What are Vx and Vy for the aircraft? When do we use each?

10. What is Va?

11. When do we use -6 flaps? When do we go back to zero flaps? Why?

12. What are the maximum airspeeds for the different flap extensions?

13. What is the official ATC designator for the aircraft? (FDCT)

14. What flaps setting gives the slowest flight? (flaps 30, at least on my aircraft)

That's probably a good start.

That passenger brief document is pretty good. I might do something like that, myself.

Why does it matter where the remote compass is? Is this a checklist item?

Based on my experience and assuming the examiner might be genuinely curious about LSA:

Be able to identify the function of each antenna.

Know where the air/fuel vent should be positioned on CTSW.

Know whether or not the lights (if any) have to be working for day or night VFR. Know when the lights have to be turned on for day/night VFR, for Sport Pilot operations.

How high are you allowed to fly? 10,000 MSL or 2,000 AGL, whichever is higher.

Where is the tail tiedown?

Why does it matter where the remote compass is? Is this a checklist item?

Because stowing metal or magnetic items next to it can cause compass errors. Not a checklist item. Probably would be a good idea to placard it though.

Because stowing metal or magnetic items next to it can cause compass errors. Not a checklist item. Probably would be a good idea to placard it though.

On my first Ct it was in the baggage mounted on the tunnel. When I would put bag chairs in there it would be off by 30 deg.

The factory location is in the left wing near the inspection hole.

Archived