Engine Out - Safe Landing

CT4ME

A friend in Florida sent me this today... Engine out, Safe Landing... 'looks like some great piloting! N179CT

So, what's "the rest of the story"???? A mechanic fixed problem and he was able to take off.

(more info under video)

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/west_palm_beach/plane-lands-near-l-7-canal-loxahatchee-wildlife-refuge

Tim

Hi guys:

This is Anthony and I was the pilot when this incident happened. I was retuning from Indiantown Airport (X58) after a routine oil change and carb reinspection when after 15 minutes into the flight I experienced a rough engine, a strong smell of fuel and my left EGT went to zero. The plane was also vibrating intensely. Since I was talking to Palm Beach Center, I immediately declared an emergency. Palm Beach indicated that the closest airport was Wellington 12 miles away. I declined going to Wellington and decided to perform a precautionary landing. Therefore, I immediately began emergency landing procedures and looking for a place where to land. The only road or land over this remote area was a levee. It's important to clarify that the engine never quit. I lost rpm and the engine was at idle but it never shut off. I landed on the levee with flaps with no problems.

A few hours later the mechanic arrived and discovered that the left air vent (balancing) hose had come off. This caused the EGT to go zero and overflooded the carburetor which resulted in the low rpm and intense vibration. Since I was at 2,500 feet the carb was not getting the right air mixture.

Ironically, once I landed the engine which was still on was back to normal and all the sensors were also normal. After further conversations with John Hurst form Lockwood Aviation who I called for input he explained that once on the ground the carbs were now adjusted to ambient air and would work normally, but at a higher altitude the carb would not.

After the hose was reinstalled I took off from the levee and flew back to my home base airport without any further incidents. The plane has flown more than 25 hours since and has not experienced any other issues.

I did notice that these very small air hoses on the sides of the carbs are only attached on the 2008 models with a tie wrap. Perhaps a clip or even safety wire should also be used.

Anthony

Good to hear "The rest of the Story"...

That makes a few times we've heard about the hoses coming off and causing severe roughness.

...and I'll say it again - Great Piloting! You can minimize it, but too many accidents start with a simple distraction... you took care of business.

Tim

This isn't usually an issue for the LS with the standard Rotax airbox.

The CT's that have the FD airbox on top is more susceptible. The vent tubes they are talking about are the little clear 4" vent tubes that come off the side of the carbs and slip inside the white plastic tubing that goes through the airbox to the other side where it plugs into the other vent tube off the opposite carb. This setup keeps the carbs with equal air pressure. Even if the vent tube does not become disconnected the white tube that goes through the airbox can slide out side ways some which exposes one or more of the three holes cut into the tube. These 3 holes in the tube usually reside inside the air box, but can be pulled too far either way and that will create a carb imbalance. Then the plane shakes from vibration because one carb is trying to run at a different rpm than the other.

To check these just make sure the clear plastic line off the side of the carb is pushed well into the white plastic line. It should have a wire tie on it. Then you can place a wire tie on each side of the airbox where the white tube goes into help prevent it from pulling out too far on either side.

The problem with the LS is that a zip tie is used to secure the balance tube (which is black in color) at the left carb. This balance tube has side pressure on it due to the direction it leaves the carb. I replaced the zip tie with a spring clamp from Advanced Auto. The rough engine at 4500 RPM has happen to me twice and both times were after maintenance. Great job landing that plane, Anthony!

Anthony, great job bringing in your CT. You mention that you landed with flaps. Do you recall which flap setting and glide speed you set up with for this emergency landing?

I landed with full flaps as I got closer to the ground. Initial gliding speed about 65-68kts. Landing on loose gravel is not easy and landing fast on gravel could be risky. Additionally in an emergency landing if possible you want to come in with more flaps to try to minimize the speed and impact (or landing).

Anthony

Archived