C TSW Rudder Trim Wheel

Jim Meade

I'd like to move the rudder trim wheel on the CTSW from it's present location to something like on the CTLS. Will the CT:LS tunnel fit the CTSW? I looked at the CTSW parts and assembly manual and suspect their would have to be considerable modification to move the trim wheels, but I can't find off hand the CTLS parts and assembly manual to compare them. I suppose one might move both aileron and rudder trim, but rudder is the one I'd most like to move.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could afford to simply buy the CTLS? Not in the cards, unfortunately.

Has anyone heard of anyone trying this?

My CTSW is ELSA. so it's legal, although that and whether it's a good idea are not what I'm asking - just whether it's reasonably easy to do or very difficult and why.

TIA

How badly does a CT really need rudder trim?

I ask, because the Cirrus SR22 started out with a rudder trim, but it was problematical enough in its implementation that they did away with it early on.

Mine did not have one, but even with 315 hp, even in a long climb the amount of right rudder needed was not that big a deal. Hard to imagine its that big a deal with 100 hp.

Just wondering...

PS - as a data point, there is rudder trim available on the Sky Arrow, but it only comes with the "disabled kit".

How badly does a CT really need rudder trim?

I ask, because the Cirrus SR22 started out with a rudder trim, but it was problematical enough in its implementation that they did away with it early on.

Mine did not have one, but even with 315 hp, even in a long climb the amount of right rudder needed was not that big a deal. Hard to imagine its that big a deal with 100 hp.

Just wondering...

PS - as a data point, there is rudder trim available on the Sky Arrow, but it only comes with the "disabled kit".

Eddie, it is really nice when flying on autopilot to trim the wings level for even fuel flow between tanks.

Jim, the tunnel is bonded in, so it would be a mess to change. The LS MM and parts do not show the rudder trim system. Moving the wheel would take some engineering to it done.

I like to trim on climb out and on descent every time and trim anytime the ball is not centered.  The CTSW is more responsive to rudder trim than any airplane I've flown, even my T210.  Trim really makes a difference and it's bad piloting to hold the trim in manually with the legs as when you attention wanders the muscles relax and you are back out of trim.

It sounds like it may be too difficult to do, which doesn't surprise or bother me. I was only curious.

I only put about an hour in an CTSW about 5 years ago so can't comment on the specific CT need of rudder trim but I'm with you Eddie. My 300hp Bellanca didn't have it and I felt no need. My Sting doesn't have an inflight adjustable rudder trim, either, but does have a trim tab so you can bend it to suit your primary flight envelope.

BTW, I wasn't entirely joking about the bungee cord.

In another application, in the early 80's I was ferrying a cropduster to S. America with the hopper jury-rigged to hold fuel and plumbed into the fuel system via a valve. It was a 300 gal hopper, but we "only" filled it half way with avgas. Still, that was 150 gals - about 10 hours of flying - plus the 50 gals in the wings.

Back on point, on one leg I started smelling gas, and noticed a slow drip from the selector valve. I wiggled it and discovered it would stop leaking if I held upward pressure on it.

I fortunately had both a bungee and a tywrap withing reach.

Voila!

6841905789_941d21acd3_z.jpg

Archived