Fuel and throttle help

Roger Lee

Hi all,

HELP!

I need a little help. Someone just called me and said that when he pushes the nose over the fuel starves a little and the engine coughs with no change in the throttle setting. When he pulls back and flys flat and level or climbs it's just fine. Any ideas. I'm stumped on this one.

Jim from the Left Coast may have hit on something. I had an opposite situation from the engine missing the other day during a power on stall practice session. I was at full pitch up to get to stall while under full throttle. I got a strong fuel smell during this which I had not gotten before and which has not happened since. At the time, I suspected that I may have had fuel overflow from the carbs due to the extreme pitch up angle preventing the floats from shutting off fuel. Could it be that the pitch down in your case might also cause the floats from shutting off fuel flow and allow flooding of the engine as Jim suggests? Or, this pitch down may prematurely shut off fuel and cause fuel starvation?

Could it be that the pitch down in your case might also cause the floats from shutting off fuel flow and allow flooding of the engine as Jim suggests? Or, this pitch down may prematurely shut off fuel and cause fuel starvation?

I'd think the latter.

The floats float. With negative g's they'd lift up in the bowls, shutting off the flow of fuel into the bowl.

Now, the fuel already in the bowl would do the same, floating up and exposing the fuel pickup to air.

This is just my take, and by no means authoritative. I'd think it would pretty much have to happen given the operating principle of our carbs.

As a data point, both the Citabrias I owned had carbs and the engine would quit the instant negative g's were applied.

For sustained inverted flight you need to have fuel injection, though I vaguely recall something called "pressure carburetors" that might avoid the problem.*

Bear in mind, this should not happen in a stall where you just let the nose fall through. Negative g's are a different animal, requiring a definite push and is usually accompanied by cr*p coming up off the floor.

BTW, in about 260 hours I've never pulled negative g's in my Sky Arrow, so I can't say from experience what does or doesn't happen.

*special oil systems are also required for sustained inverted flight.

I've been thinking about this way too long. At zero g, everything in the carb floats because there's no gravity. No gravity, nothing to hold the needle valve against the seat. Carb floods. OTOH, if negative g forces the needle valve against the seat, stopping fuel flow, it's probably not a problem because there's a reservoir of fuel in the bowl. Alternate explanation is that the fuel passage to the main jet is unporting because of the fuel in the bowl moving around.

Note that Rotax specs -0.5g for 5 seconds max in the installation manual.

I think you guys are right.

It would be nice to see if this is repeatable.

If a couple of you guys want to test this then give it a try. Push the nose over at your regular rpm and see if the engine coughs within 2-5 seconds.

Yep, I have experienced this but in my case it is more like the engine missing a few beats rathethan the 2 to 5 seconds.

Pretty repeatable too!

Yep, I have experienced this but in my case it is more like the engine missing a few beats rather than the 2 to 5 seconds.

Pretty repeatable too!

I think you may have misunderstood Rogers's comment.

It was that the engine would "cough" within 2-5 seconds, not that it would "cough" for 2-5 seconds.

Right?

Archived