Headsets

airhound

I checked out Lightspeed Zulu and Bose.

Although Bose has a slghtly more comfortable fit, I found the Zulu to have slightly better noise cancellation for the rotax.

I also have a Sennheiser (latest one) which does not require a battery and gets power from 12V plug in feature to be an excellent headset.

I have two sets of Lightspeed Zulu's in my CT for myself and my students. Great headsets, they work fantastic in the CT and are very comfortable. We use Bose in the Cirrus, but I still perfer the Zulu's over Bose, plus the Zulu's have built in blue tooth for your phone.

No, but thanks John....I guess you are less than pleased with them and so would I be, I suppose.

No, actually they worked great. I'm not flying a 182 now and don't need 3 sets of headsets anymore. They're just sitting in a box so I guess it's off to ebay.

John

I have Zulu's, they're awesome,and very comfortable. Im very happy with them! Apart from Bluetooth, you can connect with a the hard wire to your mobile and it's like a normal call. Once you push the ANR button it sounds as if you're playing MS flightsim.

Give them a bash, you won't be disapointed.

Regards

Bruce

I have the Telex D50's with the panel powered LEMO jack. Love them. Very comfortable, even for 6-hour flying days. Had to replace the ear pads on one of them and Telex sent the replacements at no charge.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the new Bose at Oshkosh last week and was very impressed but was reluctant not knowing how they would perform in the CT. Also the $1100 price tag scared me off. I purchased the Zulu's on reccomendation from this forum and tried them yesterday for the 1st time and was very impressed, especially liked the bluetooth. I guess I'll be putting my Boses up for sale.

• 3 months later...

I have used everything under the sun... Telex Stratus 50D (awfully big and a little heavy to me), Bose 10, Lightspeed Zulu and now the Bose A20's.... My preference in order of performance is Bose A20, Lightspeed Zulu, Bose X and Telex Stratus 50D bringing up the rear. After playing with all, I sold all and ended up with 2 Bose A20's. The Zulu has one feature the Bose lacks, that is the blue tooth works on music as well as the phone whereas the Bose A20 only works with phone (must hardwire to get music to play). If music via blue tooth is important use the Zulu, if its not, Bose A20's are a new standard in noise cancellation and comfort.

I find that the in ear Clarity Aloft work well and I don't have any issues with my glasses breaking the seal for noise canceling. The over ear types do a good job at low frequency but the in ear are better for the high frequency. I never have to change batteries or worry about power. Have flown with them for 5 years and the last 2 with CT's.

We have tested the Bose X, A20, Zulu, Telex 50D ANR headsets on a number of people.

The Bose A20, and Telex 50D lemo (panel power versions) consistantly had the best results. The Zulu was good, but not on everyone. The Bose X only worked well on about 50% of the people. Some CT owners had to swap there Bose X for Telex Stratus 50D's. The A20's seem to work well on everyone so far.

There was a difference between the panel power, and the battery power. Panel power is the best. Only the Bose A20 has a model that will allow both panel power, and battery (GA Plugs).

Lockwood & Sebring Aviation have all these avail. We only sell the Telex Stratus 50D LEMO installed in CT's due to a very limited supply, however, the cost is signifigantly less than the Bose A20's.

John

Loved my DC 13.4s. Bought them when they first came out in the early 90's. Unfortunately I didn't take care of them during my hiatus from flying and ear seals, boom cover, headset pad, etc, deteriated. The cost to replace these parts cost about the same as new LightSpeeds so I went with the new kid on the block. No complaints.

I also agree on hearing the engine. I've flown an unintentional glider before and I love hearing the drone of a healthy engine ;)

Loved my DC 13.4s. Bought them when they first came out in the early 90's. Unfortunately I didn't take care of them during my hiatus from flying and ear seals, boom cover, headset pad, etc, deteriated. The cost to replace these parts cost about the same as new LightSpeeds so I went with the new kid on the block. No complaints.

I also agree on hearing the engine. I've flown an unintentional glider before and I love hearing the drone of a healthy engine ;)

S3flyer, I sent in a set of David Clark H10-40's recently. I believe that these were for helicopter and they were old and beat up. I was told that DC would recondition old headsets for a resonable price. They installed new foam inside the headpieces, new gel ear pads, new steel headband, new electret microphone and new cord. All for $130 +$15 shipping. Basically, my old DC's are now like new. You may want to send in your old DC's to use for backup?

I have used everything under the sun... Telex Stratus 50D (awfully big and a little heavy to me), Bose 10, Lightspeed Zulu and now the Bose A20's.... My preference in order of performance is Bose A20, Lightspeed Zulu, Bose X and Telex Stratus 50D bringing up the rear. After playing with all, I sold all and ended up with 2 Bose A20's. The Zulu has one feature the Bose lacks, that is the blue tooth works on music as well as the phone whereas the Bose A20 only works with phone (must hardwire to get music to play). If music via blue tooth is important use the Zulu, if its not, Bose A20's are a new standard in noise cancellation and comfort.

What devise provides blue tooth music? and when you mention hardwire A20s for music do you mean plug an IPod into the A20s control module??

Telex Stratus 50D. My selection was based on reading postings from CT pilots ("other" forum). Had trouble initially with auto shut-off during T&Gs, were serviced under warranty and are now fine. Comfortable on my head. No experience with other active headsets.

• 6 months later...

Archived