Map Sensor

Al Downs

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about Map Sensors in a CTLS. My Dynon started to have erratic MAP readings last summer. It would bounce around in a wide range and sometimes peg out to steady red. It got to the point that it was steady red. It was definitely a sensor problem as everything else indicated and operated as it should.

Calls to Flight Design and Dynon were not all that helpful. They said there is a map sensor and it was easy to change because it was on the inside of the firewall. We attempted several times to find it but could not. Some work is being done at this time and the mushroom had to be removed. Guess what we found. On the right side way up on top which is just below where the windscreen meets the firewall is the MAP sensor. Definitely well hidden and not accessible without a good deal of work.

This would seem to put the issue to rest. Not so quick. Tried searching around today to find a replacement and was once again told they don't have one installed. I knew that was wrong because I had already taken the number on the old one so I could find a replacement. Guess what, Flight Design and Dynon did not recognize the number. Dynon said they sell the replacement but if I wanted to get it locally it would be no problem because it is a standard GM MAP sensor. Of course they didn't know what years or make, just standard GM.

Still not done. Went to the books and found that 1987 to 2003 is the most common MAP sensor. Of course the part number has been changed and superseded a few times but at last I have one in hand.

You may want to record the part number from NAPA so you don't have to go through the same trouble if you need to replace it.

NAPA part # PS10075. List $129.90 My cost $49.87

Hope you find this information useful.

Al Downs

PS: In searching this forum I discovered it will not allow terms without at least 4 letters. How do you search for MAP sensor with a restriction like that? A real pain in the a**

• 2 months later...

The MAP sensor saga continues. I thought my problems were over when I had what looked like the MAP sensor stated in my last post in hand. When we actually tried to install the new sensor, the plug would not fit. There are little keyways in the plug so it will only plug into the correct plug. I took the old sensor to NAPA and checked every one they had in stock. None were correct. They had another one sent overnight from Chicago. Still not right. I contacted Dynon and had them send on next day. Not bad on the price $65 plus $15 next day shipping. The reason I did not order from them in the first place is because they said it was readily available locally. The problem is there part number did not cross to anything.

In the meantime NAPA had ordered another one in from Minnesota and it came today. Surprise, it is the right one. I have included a picture of the correct one and it shows the keyways and part # for NAPA.

I think this actually puts an end to my MAP Sensor search.

Hope it helps someone else.

Al Downs

post-535-0-16445500-1337126815_thumb.jpg

Archived