Air Speed Indicator (ASI) sticking

Runtoeat

I know that the subject of ASI not working correctly has been discussed before but I'm wondering if there's any new info on where to send a "sticking" ASI or if we can replace the factory one with a generic ASI? My ASI sticks and sometimes I have to tap it to get it to work during takoff. Once it starts working, its seems OK except that it shows 5 kts. slow when I fly next to my friend with a Dynon panel. I'm thinking I probably should box it up and send it in for servicing. Has anyone sent their ASI in to be repaired? Any suggestions?

You can send it to UMA and or Contact us today at 1(800) 842-5578 for quotes and technical info.

You can also have someone open it up a lube it. This has worked for several people. Mine is 5 knts slow, but I know it so I tend not to worry about it. They are not going to be spot on anyway. I do not know what the cost of a service would be on it from UMA.

I know that the subject of ASI not working correctly has been discussed before but I'm wondering if there's any new info on where to send a "sticking" ASI or if we can replace the factory one with a generic ASI? My ASI sticks and sometimes I have to tap it to get it to work during takoff. Once it starts working, its seems OK except that it shows 5 kts. slow when I fly next to my friend with a Dynon panel. I'm thinking I probably should box it up and send it in for servicing. Has anyone sent their ASI in to be repaired? Any suggestions?

No, but I'll throw my seemingly worthless small sized altimeter and ASI which are backups to D100 in the box with it....if you are collecting.

Ranger 6, I might be interested in buying a used factory ASI if it's in good working order. Let me know if you want to sell your ASI. I haven't had mine looked at to see if my problem might be pitot tube system but from what I can tell, the sticking at takeoff is a known concern related to the internals of the unit and I suspect this is my problem.

I've had the same exact problem for a couple of years now.... 'called UMA and they'll rebuild it for $29-$59. Wow, that's reasonable! It will take up to a week, but if you work with them, they'll expedite and probably take less time.

So, is this something that I can do... technically & legally?

Tim

Ranger6, sorry but I can'tgive up my handle. My problem lately is I'm doing more eating than running. :-)

Tim, you saved me the call to UMA to see if they repair their ASI's. Their charge for repair seems reasonable. Technically, I believe that an A&P or LSRM needs to oversee the removal of your ASI and then oversee the re-installation but I am not the expert on this.

Dick,

You are correct tha an A&P or LSRM needs to do the work. You also mention overseeing the work. It's a fine line but an LSRM cannot oversee or supervise others. They must actually do it whereas an A&P can oversee/supervise.

Archived