CT Wing Inspection

NC Bill

I've tried without success to find it on the forum and the FDUSA website.

I recall hearing that the wings on the CT must be removed and inspected every 2 years.

Is that true? Can someone provide me with the source?

TIA,

Howdy Bill,

It is in the FD maint. manual and it is on the check list that a mechanic should be using every inspection. It should be signed off "NA" each inspection on the list unless it is due or something along the lines that "all outwardly visible areas checked for this inspection only and the full wing inspection is not due."

It says that the wing inspection is due after the first 100 hrs after the second annual and then every 600 hrs. after that.

CT Wing Inspection.pdf

So that's where it's written. I looked everywhere but there.

THANKS for the assist.

Now for a point of clarification. The manual requires...

"Check each 600 hrs or at the next 100 hrs inspection after 2 years, whichever occurs first."

Does that mean every 2 years or just the first 2 years?

Hi Bill,

It means the first 2 years or second annual if that's easier to remember. Then it isn't a calender or date issue any more, just based on each 600 hours thereafter. It takes me about 1.5 hrs. to pull the wings, change the fuel sight tubes, inspect and re-secure the wings. I use 2x 6' ladders for wing support and pull them out about 15" or so. Just to the length of the wires or tubing. You can get to everything you need to from there. Always support both wings when you start to pull the first wing root pin. If you don't the other wing will fall. It is nice to have a second set of hands, which I prefer, but one person that knows what he is doing can do this job.

For most people this inspection will happen anytime from the second annual up to the next 100 hr. That would mean for most folks before the third annual. It could have certainly been worded a little simpler. Something simple like at the second annual or at the third annual. I usually do them at the second annual or at the third because some people's next 100 hr. inspection is their third annual.

When I do an inspection I always include both an annual and 100 hr. and sign them off as such on the inspection check list and the logbook entry. That way you are only doing inspections once a year unless you are a training school and fly more often. The FAA and Rotax doesn't care how often you do the inspections if you do them early, but what ever time line you use then it is either 12 months or 100 hrs. later. This way it keeps owners from more than one inspection a year unless they are flying 200+ hrs a year or a training school.

I think that "Check each 600 hrs or at the next 100 hrs inspection after 2 years, whichever occurs first." is from the last inspection, at least that is my understanding. I think this is one of those areas that didn't come out right when translated from German. No where does it say the first 2 years, so I will continue to do them every 2 years. 600hours could be several years. I have an 2006 here with just 235 hours, and I know there are some lower time airplanes out there.

Hi Tom,

I went back and re-read. Son of a gun if you may not be right. It might be every two years or 600 hrs within those two years which ever occurs first. I'll call FD tomorrow and get a clarification just to make sure we are on solid ground. That would mean most of us are due for another inspection. For the average pilot that would mean the inspections at 2, 4, 6, 8, ect.. year intervals since most of use don't fly 600 hrs. in 2 years. I talked to them years ago and that isn't what I was initially told.

Nice catch!

Hi Tom,

I went back and re-read. Son of a gun if you may not be right. It might be every two years or 600 hrs within those two years which ever occurs first. I'll call FD tomorrow and get a clarification just to make sure we are on solid ground. That would mean most of us are due for another inspection. For the average pilot that would mean the inspections at 2, 4, 6, 8, ect.. year intervals since most of use don't fly 600 hrs. in 2 years. I talked to them years ago and that isn't what I was initially told.

Nice catch!

I really think it needs to be done every 2 years to lube the pins and sockets, and the flap connection. It also makes doing the sight tube a whole bunch easier.

Dave Armando, Dir of Maintenance at FDUSA kindly answered my email asking clarification:

"Every 600 hours or if you have less than 600 hrs in 2 years you should check it every 2 years. So yes its a 2 year inspection for most of us. The flight schools require more inspections."

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

Nice catch!

Were you able to get clarification from FD?

• 2 months later...

Upon beginning the wing inspection process and removing the cap bolts, we found the main wing spar bolts incredibly tight and could only turn them with difficulty about 1/4 turn. Forget about sliding them out. We stopped the process to get some advice. What is the appropriate way to get these suckers out? If removing is so difficult, reinserting with the corresponding alignment issue must be a nightmare.

Roger Kuhn

Mine are very tight. Have someone work the wing tips while another person works the pins. Eventually they will come out and then the fun part. Putting them back in. Again, I aggressively worked the wing tips while another person kept worrying the pin. It seemed no progress was being made then all of a sudden we were done. Do not use a hammer!!! It is not fun on my plane and, except for fuel sight tubes, I see no purpose in this. In fact, as tight as they are, I wonder if more harm than good is the end result

I've never had problems getting any of them out on the several airplanes I have done. One thought is if you already have the wing blocked up then you may have a load on the pins. With just the weight of the wings hanging you should be able to turn the pins. Do like John said and have someone on each wing tip and just lift up lightly to take of the load. I had trouble putting the last set I did back together only to find out the last people to do the inspection had the wires routed through the wrong holes and pinched between the wing and fuselage. When you do get them off make sure to clean the pins and bushings, and put some grease on them as called for in the manual. Tom

The main problem if yo have trouble is the amount of upward or downward tension on the wings. This can make the pins hard to pull out. Have one person on each wing and try and hold them with only a very slight upward push to take the pressure off the spar pins in the holes. If done correctly they will come right out. There is nothing holding them, but the pressure exerted on the pins from the wing position. If you have any questions please call me, maybe I can make it easier.

I'm out of town right now so use my cell number below.

Roger Lee

520-349-7056

P.s.

You can use a ladder under one with or both, but you can not apply too much pressure up or down.

Archived