Cabin water leaks

stolarek

There are some water leaks in my CTLS' cabin. First, some water gets on the shelves behind the seatls. I believe that water find its way through some openings between the flaps and the cabin. The second leak is through one of the left door sill.

Pls advice if you had experienced similar problems and had found a fix.

If you leave your plane in the rain or use a garden hose to wash it there are place that will allow water to intrude. The places that you mentioned are common. You can stop the ones in the door by adding a soft foam weather strip 3/8" wide with a self sticking back. Apply it all the way around between the door seal and outer edge. This also seals the doors from air during the winter. On the flap entry point there isn't a simple fix. If you are going to leave it outside I would always keep it covered to help keep the sun, rain and dust out.

Make sure your wing root gaps are taped with some Bolus maxi tape, 1" white. It is especially important in rainy and very humid climates. You can use this tape to seal all your gaps. The wing root, the under fin and the stab upper and lower gaps, leg fairings and wheel pants if you choose to do so.

You can get the tape here:

http://cumulus-soaring.com/bowlus.htm

Yes, I am trying to use the cover whenever possible. Unfortunately the cover I have bought doesn't extend beyond the point where flaps start... I will check whether the tape was applied.

Thanks for the help.

Archived