Keep it clean

We all enjoy our days of flying, but sometimes skimp on the cleaning up afterwords. Although we may not have to do it after every flight, it is a good idea to clean up your investment now and then. Going over the entire airframe with some soft cloths and some Composiclean spray wax is a great way to not only keep things clean but allow you to inspect the airframe for any signs of small problems before they become bigger problems. I know its not fun to crawl under the belly and clean, but it can tell you a lot about how your engine is doing. Is it leaking any fluids on the belly, how is the exhuast staining (normal, dark). Are the airframe drain holes clear, have you hit the ventral fin on the ground, or knocked a wheel pant loose. How about your placards, are they peeled off, legible, missing. These are things we may overlook during preflight but when you are focused on cleaning these areas to shiny perfection you notice things.

Just something to keep in mind...Take care of your plane and it will take care of you!

We all enjoy our days of flying, but sometimes skimp on the cleaning up afterwords. Although we may not have to do it after every flight, it is a good idea to clean up your investment now and then. Going over the entire airframe with some soft cloths and some Composiclean spray wax is a great way to not only keep things clean but allow you to inspect the airframe for any signs of small problems before they become bigger problems. I know its not fun to crawl under the belly and clean, but it can tell you a lot about how your engine is doing. Is it leaking any fluids on the belly, how is the exhuast staining (normal, dark). Are the airframe drain holes clear, have you hit the ventral fin on the ground, or knocked a wheel pant loose. How about your placards, are they peeled off, legible, missing. These are things we may overlook during preflight but when you are focused on cleaning these areas to shiny perfection you notice things.

Just something to keep in mind...Take care of your plane and it will take care of you!

Well put! A recent purchase of a mechanic's crawler for the hangar was a really good investment. I was amazed how much engine exhaust film there was on the underside of the fuselage, and all the way back to the tail. The crawler makes paying proper attention to this area quite easy and comfortable. I recently tried Simple Green to take this stuff off, and it did so almost effortlessly. Unfortunately my Flight Design AI said not to do this again as this stuff isn't that good for the Carbon Fiber.

So, any ideas for a good cleaner that can be easily used while lying on your back?

The Cessna Owners Association suggests Goop. I used it on my 210 and it worked very, very well (and leaves your hands nice and soft and clean). A soft sponge to apply it and a soft paper towel to remove it. Subject to someone giving specific reasons why not to use it, I will use in my SW. This stuff has no grit or pumice in it. Get it at many hardware or auto supply stores.

http://goophandcleaner.com/

The Cessna Owners Association suggests Goop. I used it on my 210 and it worked very, very well (and leaves your hands nice and soft and clean). A soft sponge to apply it and a soft paper towel to remove it. Subject to someone giving specific reasons why not to use it, I will use in my SW. This stuff has no grit or pumice in it. Get it at many hardware or auto supply stores.

http://goophandcleaner.com/

I would only recommend products made for carbon fiber. I use the following and have been very satisfied www.composiclean.com, happy flying~!

I would only recommend products made for carbon fiber. I use the following and have been very satisfied www.composiclean.com, happy flying~!

The carbon fiber will handle most any cleaner. The CT has a layer of foam between to layers of carbon fiber, and it is the foam that has a problem. The foam is very chemical resistant, but does not handle acidic cleaners very well. We need a nuetral ph cleaner for our airplanes.

Here's the problem,

PH neutral Composiclean does an okay job on regular dust and dirt, but does a terrible job on grease and oily dirt. Why, because it's PH neutral. Cleaners that cut grease and oil are a base or alkali in the range of 12-14 on the PH scale. PH neutral is around 7.4. Alkyli's are not acids they are on the other end of the scale. Composiclean has an oil cleaner too, buts it's a base. Most of you here are old enough laugh.gif to remember the TV commercial about red dry dish pan hands from dish washing soap. The reason it cut grease on the pots is it was a base or alkyli. The problem back then was a alkyli also takes the oils out of your hands and with enough use makes them reddened. Dish pan hands. So if you want to cut or wash away greasy dirt or oil then you need a PH based product. Your dish washing soap today is still a base.

In 2006 and 2007 many of us discussed this very subject on the old forum. Many of us now use and have used for at least 5 years alkali based products to cut the oil and grease. One product I and many others use is "Oil Eater". It can be purchased at many auto parts stores, the Sam's Club or purchased on line. Not a single person has had any issues using these products since you aren't soaking the plane and you usually wipe it off. Use cloth to apply it or spray it on then follow it up with a damp rag. This product is a water based and bio-degradable. I use it to clean up my epoxied floors when there is oily or rubbed in dirt with a mop. It can be use straight up or diluted. The Simple Green that cuts oily grease and dirt is also a base.

I just had a plane in the shop and the owner complained that Composiclean didn't work on oily greasy dirt. He thought his plane was stained on the under belly and would not come off. I let him try the Oil Eater and he sprayed it on and before he could get a rag up the oily stain and grime was running off and he had a nice white belly again. I have 6 CT's at my field and they all use Oil Eater and have for years without any issues..

Archived