When Things Go Wrong...

Adam

Hey everyone... Sharing an experience I had in my new CTLS this past week. I'm up to 15 hours on my new bird, the weekend prior to this I had 5 hours in the cockpit flying around California and had no issues. On this flight, my first flight with my wife (as luck would have it) I had a problem. I offer this not for critique by Monday morning quarterbacks but rather as an educational and learning experience for all. From time to time stuff does happen! Its what we learn and what we remember that makes a difference. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uF8MyB73570

Hi Adam,

Looks like everything worked out so no issues. It can happen to anyone. The Rotax engine is designed to run 30 min. without coolant, but then you have a few special checks to do after landing.

All flights are good flights if you get to use the plane again.wink.gif

Just an over all FYI:

The one thing I always advise anyone with a new plane or engine is take the first flight and do laps around the airport for 30-45 min. Then pull the cowl and look for leaks or issues of any kind and by all means put a wrench on any worm drive type clamp whether it is oil and especially coolant. Then after the next 2-3 hrs. pull the cowl again and do the same. the rubber hose start to settle and sometimes the clamps on new engine whether from Rotax or when FD gets finished altering the engine out of the box to work on a CT should always warrant a check of all clamps. So if any one takes delivery of a CT and it has a couple of hours on it from the dealer I would pull the cowl before flying home and put a wrench on the clamps because dealers just don't do that. It would take 20 min to pop the cowl and check the clamps and put the cowl back on, but it might save countless hours. I just put a new engine on a CT and the clamp check and leak check has been done 3 times in 3 hours of flight time. All the clamps took a little tweaking. Rubber settles.

Good advice... Of the 15 hours about 11 are mine. I was starting to believe everything was "dialed in". As the video shows I was wrong! Mechanics did the rotax less than 30 minutes, less than 350 degree CHT exceeded checks. They replaced a couple of clamps and then did an oil and filter change, magnetic plug inspection and all that good stuff. Luckily, it didn't happen over the desert halfway to nowhere. I will do another inspection after a few more hours to be sure.

Nice job Adam, happy all worked out. I hope your wife gets "out there again". Happy flying!

I really have to give her some credit.. She is fearless! Helmet diving in the ocean, skydiving, bungie jumping, airplanes, sports nut... I got a good one when it comes to this stuff. She says "no problem, ready to go anytime".

I suggest the same procedure after the 5 year hose change. Get the mechanic who did the work to go with you if you can.

I noticed a lot of worm-style clamps on the fuel lines instead of the crimped kind from the factory. I don't like worm clamps on thing that vibrate. Does the forum have an opinion?

Archived