Seat belt rides up, falls off shoulder etc

On a previous post this is what roger said:

Here's the real problem.

There are basically 3 grades of webbing. The thinnest and most pliable is what FD uses. Then there is a middle grade (a little thicker and a little less pliable and a the top grade which is really thick and not very pliable at all. I used to use these webbings when I owned my last business. The middle grade is what we used and it is what FD should use. The top thicker grade is too stiff and thick. The non slip buckles don't work for .02 cents with the thin webbing. They need to use the middle grade so the belt has enough thickness and stiffness to stay put. I just use two velcro straps on my harness at my upper chest level and they work just fine. I hope FD reads this and changes its web material to the next grade higher. I suppose you could yank the harness and have a shop redo them with the next grade webbing. It may not be legal, but you could file an LOA or......

Then it seemed the post started talking about something else and it was never finished.

Has anyone figured out anyhitng that makes the seatbelts stay tight?

Mack

After reading Roger's post it is a shame FD has not switched to the slightly stiffer webbing. It would make a big difference.

Being the dog that I am I tried to sniff out a better way with what we have. If you lift up the strap where it crosses through the slide you will see a chrome plated cover and this cover is very smooth and slick which allows the strap to constantly slip. The cover over the slide bar can be popped off with screw driver and the strap will stay in place much better. If at sometime you want to put the chrome cover back on it just snaps back in place.

I'm not recommending it. I'm letting Mack know what causes the problem and what it would take to fix it as it as it sits. Decision to do the mod would be an individual one. Unfortunately it happens to all of us. It's a fix that I'm sure FD knows nothing of, probably shouldn't be in the logbook and no LOA would be forth coming. I have seen a few do this with desired results. The action they took was strictly on their own.

The best fix would be to pull the belts altogether and take them to a shop and have the next better grade of webbing installed and made as an exact copy of the original harness. This webbing would be stiffer and stronger webbing and then send in for an LOA.

Are there any stats on how the belts held up when a CT flips over ?

My belts keep on getting loose to the point that if I crash I would need to add a checklist item to pull them tight before hitting whatever and wonder if they would hold.

Hey safety officer why would FD not give a LOA for something that improves safety and does not affect the cg ?

Does the LS have the same problem?

Even though LSA are not subject to some of the FAA strictures, it doesn't hurt to give them a look. There is a TSO on seat belts that calls for testing.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgTSO.nsf/0/bd537f188a90daa586256da500566778/$FILE/C22g.pdf

Here is some FAA propaganda on use of seat belts.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/seatbelt_web2.pdf

No matter where the seat belt material comes from, it would behoove us to be sure that it meets the standards that we will be judged by if there is an accident or we are inspected.

Some seat belt material depending on what machine it is in is absolutely different and yes some are tested and TSO'd

Ours may be just 2" black webbing? The middle grade is a little stiffer. I'm not 100% sure.

Here is Aircraft Spruce seat-belt webbing. see bottom right corner of page.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2012Individual/Cat12179.pdf

If you pop those slick chrome clip out that the Safety Officer mentioned the belts stay put. I have been in a plane that was setup that way.

• 1 month later...

I'm also frustrated with the seat belts constantly becoming loose. I want to try removing the chrome slides, but at first attempt, they did not pop off easily. For any who have done this, what is the sequence that works best?

Also, has anyone changed out the web material, and if so, does this really help? I'm surprised that Flight Design hasn't addressed this issue. Loose belts are a hazard if actually needed.

Roger Kuhn (ELSA)

I have seen the chrome slider covers removed and it does make a difference. All they did was put a small screwdriver blade under it and popped it off. They will pop right back on too. A stiff web material would make a difference too.

Archived