Circuit Breaker NFG

Runtoeat

My ACL lights stopped working last week and we thought that the problem was fixed after tracking grounds and tightening up the ground lugs and by cleaning the 12v and ground circuit connectors. I flew the other day and found that the lights stopped working again. Investigation showed the problem was due to an inoperative "Position Lights" breaker on the panel. This had 12v in but not out when "closed". Working this breaker a number of times appears to have corrected this. My position lights (green and red wing lights and white tail light) now work 100%. It appears that these breakers do not get excercised very much (if at all) and the contacts become dirty.

Two guys who repair electrics have told me that a squirt of contact cleaner into both ends of my CB would be a good thing to do. They both recommended Radio Shack's "Cleaner and Lubricant 64-4315". This is a cleaner that will not harm the plastic parts but will clean the contacts and has a very small amount of lubricant in it. They said to just let the cleaner soak into the CB and cycle it a few times. I will now excercise all of my CB's occasionally to keep the contacts clean.

• 3 weeks later...

Dick

How did the CB cleaning and lubing go? I bought a can and decided to call you before I used it and made a mess. Looks like one just has to be careful and spay through the front of the panel being careful not to overspray anything else. I sprayed it on my fingers and it was pretty oily until I wiped it off....

...What has been your experience?

Doug in IL

• 4 years later...

Doug, just going thru old postings and see your request for F/U on my post. Sorry for the lag in replying. I suspect you're all set but there is a recent posts on this subject. It has now been a few years and the squirt of cleaner seems to have kept the CB trouble free. One thing to mention is I pulled the panel and squirted a small amount of the cleaner into the CB at the blade connections to be sure it got inside the CB. I know that the recommendation is to dry wipe and don't use any cleaner or lubricant for contact switches but I didn't see a way to take the CB apart to clean the contacts so this seems to work.

Archived