Android apps

Doug G.

This is going to be a specific subject of my visit to Oshkosh this year. I am tired of my iPad and Foreflight and also tired of paying $60/mo for the Garmin 496. I'm looking for an upgrade that will keep me with the changing technology at an attractive price. Windows is my preference (not starting an OS war - just saying).

The Avilution subscription is $4.95/mo. GPS tracking, sectionals, TACs, TFRs, nexrad, METAR & TAF, direct AFD acess, a flight specific notepad, etc. Oh, and a much cooler airplane. :-)

Jim, I prefer Windows also, but I don't think they are going to last long in the tablet market - very little support among manufacturers or programmers. They are behind the curve. (They have been down this road before - I own a Zune MP3 player.)

I tried the Garmin app for the free trial. There were things I liked about it, and thing I didn't. Two negatives - I was not thrilled by the user interface, and the subscription price is higher than Avilution's. I am Sport Pilot - VFR day only - and I mainly use my tablet for planning and backup. Any other apps useful anyone?

FYI - I am using a 10" Toshiba Thrive. A good device, but not recommended because of the weight. #1 on my list right now would be the ASUS Transformer Prime - thin, light, and Android ICS. Extra cool with the detachable keyboard.

Hmmm...not that I've heard of. They have a cheaper version of it (T300) which is close, a touch heavier and a touch slower. It is replacing the first Transformer. I'll have to look into the gps thing, all I have heard is good.

I had hoped this would be an apps forum, but it is heading the way of the other discussion - hardware. To try to bring it back...these are the apps I find useful or interesting:

AviationMaps from avilution

Aviation Tools from cosinus

Aviation Pocket Knife from ?

Aviation Weather Mobil App from NOAA

Aviation Weather from ?

Wind Computer from Avdroid

FlightIntel for Pilots from ?

I found all of these either on the Amazon app store or Google Play.

Doug

Yeah Tim...Google Maps came pre-installed on my tablet, but it is excellent, great for getting a bird's eye view of airports. (BTW, take a look at KOSH, it was taken during Airventure!)

Has anyone tried Foreflight on Android? It doesn't look like much in Google Play (used to be Google Market). It has not been updated since November of last year.

Doug

'Foreflight for Android is just a weather app... 'good one, but only weather.

BTW, 'hadn't looked at Avilution stuff for a long time... it looks pretty nice now! 30 day trial now.

WingX has been teasing us with loose talk about an Android version for a year. Last Fall they were openly saying "any day now". In my last call, they said "we're still looking at an Android version, but aren't saying when"

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

The Aero Weather app is excellent. I am planning a trip and can put in every weather reporting airport along the route. The details show the metars & tafs, decoded if you want, and all the runways with headwinds and crosswinds for each. I think it as been ported over from the i-Pad.

• 1 month later...

FWIW.... AOPA's Android APP "FlyQ" is now out... FREE

It seems like a good program. Works good (so far) on my HTC One, but has a couple of problems on my 7" Sprint tablet. Great airport info, weather and flight planning. But NO MOVING MAP or Charts. You can file flight plans, and it ties into DUAT. I'm sure it will get better after a couple of updates.

Tim

One feature I really want in an aviation app is "track up" map orientation. It just really helps my brain visualize where I'm going and where I need to go to see my heading and my track line in relation to it. I'm not sure why, but most apps seem to not include that. Probably because most apps use sectional data, and it looks a little weird to see sectional text upside down.

WingX and Anywhere Map Freedom both do track up. I have both an iPad 3 and a Nexus 7, so it's also nice that both of those apps are available (or will be soon in WingX) for both platforms, so I'd only have to learn one interface. I had an Anywhere Map ATC for a while, and I really like the program, but it was dog-slow on that hardware. Hopefully the app is better.

FWIW.... AOPA's Android APP "FlyQ" is now out... FREE

It seems like a good program. Works good (so far) on my HTC One, but has a couple of problems on my 7" Sprint tablet. Great airport info and weather. NO MOVING MAP or Charts. You can file flight plans, and it ties into DUAT. I'm sure it will get better after a couple of updates.

Tim

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with FlyQ. Definitely nice weather and planning info, but kind of useless in the air. Also it's designed to run on phones, so it's small on a tablet, and just gets blocky when you use the "2X" button to stretch it out larger. It definitely needs more cooking time, IMO.

I like track up for an approach, but normally I like north up. I learned to read maps in the Army 50 years ago and it was always taught by people who fought in some really nasty wars, to use north up. Still feels natural to me.

BTW, does this site use some kind of on-the-fly spell checker? Sometimes I look back at a misspelled word and say - I know my fingers are fat, but they're not that fat.. Or are they?

There is no spell check built into the board. It's probably being done by your Browser, or even a tool-bar. Most browsers have spell check built-in, or available for free. IE has IESpell or Speckie available as free add-ins.

tim

Archived