Woodstock emerges from 2 year hibernation.

Ed Cesnalis

I have decided to start flying again, I have logged 19.1 hours in the last 2 years

Questions: What does the process of changing to experimental light sport look like? does the lien holder ( bank ) get notified?

Who is doing BRS chute repacks? Does anyone have John Dunham's Email? What is BRS's cost and turn around time?

I heard that FD rescinded their Warp Drive LOA but I assume this would not effect me since FD installed the Warp drive as original equipment on my CT, comments?

Thanks.

post-6-0-29008900-1340377656_thumb.jpg

"I have decided to start flying again, I have logged 19.1 hours in the last 2 years

Questions: What does the process of changing to experimental light sport look like? does the lien holder ( bank ) get notified?"

Call Carol Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation in Corning. If your airplane is in annual, you give them your S-LSA airworthiness certificate and some money and they give you a E-LSA certificate back. I think she said it takes about 30 minutes. They also run a weekend class that gives you the authority to do your own annuals. The transaction is between you and the DAR. I can't imagine they'd contact the bank.

"Who is doing BRS chute repacks? Does anyone have John Dunham's Email? What is BRS's cost and turn around time?"

I have his new phone number somewhere. If I find it, I'll PM it to you.

"I heard that FD rescinded their Warp Drive LOA but I assume this would not effect me since FD installed the Warp drive as original equipment on my CT, comments?"

Thanks.

post-6-0-29008900-1340377656_thumb.jpg

Great to see that you and Woodstock are back.

BTW, Jeremy McGregor has been doing excellent Light Sport work in Tracy. He maintains my CT and most of the 912-powered LSA's around here. He flies a CTSW and he's an A&P IA with extensive Rotax training.

Carpenter took my CTSW to ELSA at Oshkosh and I think you'd better figure on more than 30 minutes. It will take Brian longer than that to do the paperwork. You need to get a new warning for pax on the inside and you need to get EXPERIMENTAL on the outside. That can be done a number of ways, some of which are quicker than others.

Nevertheless, I'd figure on spending more than 30 minutes on doing this - if you already have the lettering and set aside a half a day you'll probably get some time back. Depends on how smoothly everything goes.

To be on the safe side, I'd have all my logs and AROW paperwork on hand and current.

I just had my BRS re-pack done. It cost just about $1150 including the actual re-pack plus the labor, and took two weeks. I had it done in parallel with my annual and some upgrades, so it all came together on time (i.e., the 'chute didn't delay things more than a day or two).

I think the trick on the fairly fast turnaround (I have heard they have taken as much as six weeks in the past) was that the folks who did my service (US Aviation at KDTO) reserved a re-pack slot with BRS. We started the planning for this about a month in advance.

-Russ

Hi Ed,

Glad to have you back. The ELSA swap just rakes a little paperwork and little time.

So now we better see you and Erin in Page this Oct.biggrin.gif

Your closest would be Brian carpenter in Corning, CA.

I have done a few chute re-packs now and just sent another one off yesterday. They go back to BRS in MN. It takes exactly two weeks and cost $846 which includes the shipping back to you. The only additional cost is the cost for you to ship to them. I have a UPS account and It cost me $46 with $2K insurance. It may cost you more if you don't have an account. BRS wants you to get $2K insurance. So my cost for that last few chute re-packs have been a little less than $900. Here is the info and their link. You need to call them first and they will give you an RMA # to put on the box. Make sure before you call to get the serial number off the canister label. I talked to them yesterday. They have been getting an average of 2 per week. Our BRS chute is special made for our CT's and the cost is over $8K. It takes me about 20 min. to pull one out or re-install it. It's quite easy. Leave the pick up ring on and pull the rocket motor, it's only 3 screws. Call me if you have any questions. Call me anyway.smile.gif

http://brsparachutes...ack_center.aspx

Russ,

Why did it cost you $1150?

Archived