Window Cleaner

Runtoeat

I have used recommended plastic window cleaner since purchasing my CTSW. The two cleaners I've used have been Plexall and Clearview. Neither of these have performed as I would like. Both require virgin clean microfiber cloths or will leave a white film after drying. When done cleaning, I always need to go over the windows a few times to try to get the film removed and due to this, I develop a lot of static electricity which grabs little bits of dust particles. Today, I used a cleaner that was so easy to use and did such a great job, I had to take a second and third look at the window to make sure I wasn't seeing things. The product was Turtle Wax "Ice" spray on Detailer. All one needs to do is mist the Ice on the window and wipe it off with a fairly clean microfiber cloth. My windows are cleaner than I've ever seen them and in about 1/2 the time compared to using the other cleaners. They just sparkle. If someone else tries the Ice Detailer, let me know how it works out for you. I also use the Ice spray on wax for all my cars and the wings and fuselage of my CT. This seems to really clean the surface and leaves a durable and lasting shine with very little elbow grease needed. This can be used in bright sun if one can't find a shady spot to polish the vehicle.

Sounds good. I'll maybe look for it next time I'm at the auto parts store.

I've been using Pledge furniture polish on all things plexiglas for decades.

Easy on, easy off, cheap and it works. Over time it seemed to rejuvenate the side windows on my Tiger that were kinda crazed and bluish when I bought it.

Maybe once in a while I'll use an automotive Carnaba wax if I feel industrious, but Pledge does the trick for me 90% of the time!

I'll have to give that a try on my windows... I've been using ICE for cleanup/touchup on a regular basis, to the point where I haven't waxed for a long time. In the past, I've always used the Costco "Sprayway" Window Cleaner, with great results.

Tim

Eddie, a lot of people use Pledge here too. I have been cautious about using it because of the dire warnings of scratching our windows unless the "proper" cleaner is used. Guess that I just went to the Minwax Ice without trying the Pledge. I'm thinking that the Ice may have some newer polymers or chemicals in it and may not have some of the heavier waxes which the Pledege may or may not have. There's a lot of people who do use Pledge. I'll try it too.

Tim, wasn't aware of the Costo Sprayway. I'm always looking for a better window cleaner around the house so I may buy some to see how it works around the house and also try this on the CT. Guess while I'm at it, I better try the Ice on my home windows and mirrors!

I was at O'Reilly's today for something else, and they had the Turtle Wax Ice Detailer on sale for $7.99. I picked up a bottle.

How about this - next time we do our plexiglas we try half with Pledge and half with Ice and report back?

I may also try it on my leading edges - I've been using BAAM for that to pretty good effect.

Bill, I think the advantage of using some sort of wax or projectant is to fill in tiny scratches and to provide a fine layer of protection. I think you'd find that bugs and the like come off more easily. With less rubbing, there's less of a chance of scratching. I also think rain will stream off better.

Bill, a non-scientific feeling I have is that water doesn't provide the lubricity that window cleaners do to "float" the dirt off of the surface and this may prevent scratching? Also, like Eddie says the window cleaners will dissolve bugs and other bad stuff that accumulates on our windows better than plain water. I know that we can't subject our CT's to alkali due to the degradation this causes to our rohacel (sp?) foam but I feel that misting on a cleaner such as Turtle Ice will not cause harm. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Eddie, I will try to compare the Ice and Pledge if I can. Let us know what you find out with your test. Pledge is an old "tried and true" cleaner so this might be the best over the ice due to the lower cost.

I am wondering how far to take the Ph neutral bit. Does misting plexiglass matter? How ahout flying in non-neutral rain? Or dust, that may actually turn water alkaline? How far alkaline does the Ph have to be, and how minute an amount will damage the plane to the point it needs repair? Has anyone on here actually damaged, or seen a plane damaged by the wrong kind of plexiglass cleaner? The scientist in me would really like to know how sensitive the planes are.

If you do a search and check out the constituents of proprietary brands of windscreen cleaners such as PLEXUS and compare them with PLEDGE you'll soon discover that they are pretty much the same thing. They are both wax based and leave a fine scratch filling wax coat on the screen . The best part is that PLEDGE is a quarter of the price and leaves a nice smell in the hangar! I've been using it for the past 3 years with no issues.

I've used Pledge on my planes windows for at least 30 years with no problems. I've had my CT for 5 years and the glass looks great. Make sure it's lemon Pledge, not the regular kind in the brown can (do they even make that anymore?) or else you will get a wax build up.

Also, waterless car wash works really well and would probably be better for a plane thats has been left outside. You can put it on a dusty windshield and there will be no scratches.

Thanks Jaques,

Is there anything about Lemon Pledge? And,I know that alkaline is a real concern, not as much is said about the acid side. Leaving aside plexiglass for the moment, folks have suggested many different auto waxes for the plane - which are either neutral or within tolerances (if there is such a thing)?

Doug

I have used recommended plastic window cleaner since purchasing my CTSW. The two cleaners I've used have been Plexall and Clearview. Neither of these have performed as I would like. Both require virgin clean microfiber cloths or will leave a white film after drying. When done cleaning, I always need to go over the windows a few times to try to get the film removed and due to this, I develop a lot of static electricity which grabs little bits of dust particles. Today, I used a cleaner that was so easy to use and did such a great job, I had to take a second and third look at the window to make sure I wasn't seeing things. The product was Turtle Wax "Ice" spray on Detailer. All one needs to do is mist the Ice on the window and wipe it off with a fairly clean microfiber cloth. My windows are cleaner than I've ever seen them and in about 1/2 the time compared to using the other cleaners. They just sparkle. If someone else tries the Ice Detailer, let me know how it works out for you. I also use the Ice spray on wax for all my cars and the wings and fuselage of my CT. This seems to really clean the surface and leaves a durable and lasting shine with very little elbow grease needed. This can be used in bright sun if one can't find a shady spot to polish the vehicle.

Try Brillianize---RANS ACFT MFG swears by it and carries it around on their demos for for glass and airframe. I've use it and its between water and all the other stuff listed.....no residue....

http://www.brillianize.com/Pages/LandingPages/acrylic.html

Review of the MSDS of Lemon Pledge and Plexus plastic cleaner shows them to be similar, except Lemon Pledge contains silicones (CAS 63148-62-9) and Plexus doesn't. Both have gasses for propellants and both have conventional paraffins/petroleum distillates that act as wax. I have no idea if silicones are a problem for our plastic windows, or not. Neither lists a pH because neither is an aqueous solution. Organic solutions don't have pH.

I clean my windshield by laying a soft, clean, all-cotton terry towel on it and then saturating it with clean water. I leave it sitting on the windshield for several minutes (this is effective for softening insect residue). Then I slide it around a bit (with no pressure, only its own weight) and use another clean towel to gently dry the windshield. I finish with Plexus and another clean, dry towel.

Aviation Consumer rated window cleaners this past year, but I don't recall their recommendations. One cleaner made onto their annual list of favorites.

• 3 months later...

Eddie, I will try to compare the Ice and Pledge if I can. Let us know what you find out with your test. Pledge is an old "tried and true" cleaner so this might be the best over the ice due to the lower cost.

Tried the Ice for the first time last week.

So far, I'm impressed:

8062573228_b5d766641f_c.jpg

8062572631_4a7ff6167c_c.jpg

It left the windows really spectacularly clear, and seemed to take just a bit less wiping off than Pledge. Pledge can leave a bit of a film until you pretty judiciously wipe it all off - the Ice was similar but marginally easier to wipe off.

As I said before, I've used Pledge for decades on aircraft windows as well as motorcycle windshields, helmet visors, convertible car rear windows, you name it. Never an issue of any sort, and I still swear by it.

But for the upcoming trip to Page/Tucson, I think it will be replaced with the Ice.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll spread the word!

Archived