Favorite Weather checking/planning website

Admin

I use this one. Click on "Metars" and after the page changes, put in your airport code. Check the "Translated" and "TAF" boxes and then click "Submit". You can also click on the national map and it will show current local conditions. I use this website to plan ahead for the next day's weather. It is very accurate.

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

'Just found another one... RunwayFinder.com it looks very nice and may replace my use of SkyVector. I like the tabs, plus you can switch back and forth between chart view, map, satellite, and terrain. Be sure to check out the settings page.

As per their site:

RunwayFinder is a flight planning resource for U.S. pilots, showing current weather conditions for airports in an area at a glance displayed on seamless sectional and terminal charts. In addition, routes, range circles, and temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) can be plotted.

Here's an intro video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3fTLYwM1d0

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just found another GREAT map/sectional/info site:

VFRMAP.com

The site is optimized to work nicely on Smart Phones and Tablets.

Kudos to runwayfinder.com for pointing out this site... BTW, runwayfinder is still down, and fighting the lawsuit (and patent) against FlightPrep.

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had trouble with the www.landings.com flight planner lately - not being able to get on for some reason. Do you know of any other free flight planner site that shows the terrain/obstruction heights along a flight path?

Finally, after about a week, it looks like it's back to working properly. Just in time for my flight tomorrow from NC through the mountains of VA and WV to OH.

Archived