Window TInt

I have a total block in the upper window and the first 12" of the front window on top. I used a piece of 1/4 styrofoam sheet from a craft store and my wife covered it with grey material. It is held in place with Velcro. The dim light keeps my head from getting burnt, reduces the cabin temp a bunch and makes everything in the cabin ten times easier to see.

There are some people who have used window tint, but to do really good it needs to be limo dark. Window tint can crack due to the plastic window expanding and contracting.

I use the "static cling" tint squares available from Composiclean. They come in 4x6 and 8x10 sizes, just rub on your shirt then stick them anywhere on the glass. Nice part is they don't leave any residue, can be used over and over and can be repositioned to side or front windows if needed.

Hey Guys!

I put commercial window tinting on the top "window" and have had no ill effects. There must be some elasticity in this stuff as I've had no cracks even with our 130 degree annual temperatures swings. I've seen Roger's covering and it's really first class. Considering the near continual heat down there (all they're missing is brimstone) his suggestion is the way to go, for that climate.

That said, I chose what I thought was a very dark shade, but it could have been much darker. Limo Dark is the next step.

I just put sunshade in last week. Was going to do something like Roger did but found static tinting that can be cut to fit and then peeled off in colder weather. Got it at Walmart. The roll is about 2 feet wide and about 6 feet long. It comes in a medium and dark shade. I used the medium. It is pretty thick and isn't good optically but works OK for the ceiling and the first 12" of the windshield. Walmart has both the adhesive tinting (spray on the binding and then apply the material and squeege it) and they also have the peel off. The peel off can also be applied with water and then squeeged to get rid of small bubbles. I just applied it to see how it fit and never went to the bother to peel it off to reapply it with water so I have some small bubbles.

I did the same thing last Spring, Dick.

Bought the medium shade at Auto Zone. Cut it to "roughly" match the ceiling and rear windows in my CTLS. I put it on by hand. No squeege. They've been in place (with bubbles) for well over a year.

Never though of the top 12" of the wind screen :blush: Tomorrow's project! The remainder's still in the hangar.

N554CT (couldn't find your first name!). Glad to hear that this material worked well for you so that I might expect the same after going to some trouble to trim and fit it. Not the best of fit but tolerable. Here's some shots:

post-24-0-41048300-1341608059_thumb.jpgpost-24-0-77576300-1341608057_thumb.jpgpost-24-0-72925600-1341608060_thumb.jpg

Couldn't recall what the window tinting places used so thanks for that tip Roger. If I remove the tinting for winter, I'll do the baby shampoo when I put it back in. Besides helping to remove the bubbles, the shampoo and water will probably allow me to slide the tinting around a little bit to get it in place better. I did this with the temps at 104 F here and humidity at 85% and I was dripping wet after wrestling with it wanting to stick every time it touched the windows. Walmart also sells tinting that is thinner and uses a spray that sticks it to windows. This is your typical tinting that the commercial places use or similar to it. Maybe they use baby shampoo for this too and it activates the adhesive? Not sure how easy this is to remove from plastic windows since one can't scrape it with tools.

Archived