Modifying A Stock CTSW

Jim Meade

Let's play Experimental LSA.

If you had free rein to modify a stock CTSW, keeping it LSA compatible, what would you do? What avionics would you choose? Would you relocate or put in different phone jacks? What music systems would you choose? Do you like sunvisors or shades - which ones?

What would you do with the seats and seat padding, the storage space and the trim? Would you add a photo window? Would you add camera mounts? How about the stick and switches - move the flap switches to the stick? Make a stick removable?

Would you add an oil thermostat, and if so, which one? How about a shutter for the oil cooler? Tow hook, anyone?

Are new wheel assemblies on your "must do" list?

Would you change the prop? Why? To What? How about wheel pant mods?

Sorry, CTLS is not in my pocket book. No new engine. But, lots of other things are possible. The plane is going to be down for major rework this winter.

Hat shelf (reach books etc. in flight) - tail tie down ring (and skid I hope not to need) - removable co-pilot stick to make some women more comfortable and keep the non flying passengers off the controls (foot rest for the same reason)and Camera window.

Hi Mick,The SW and LS have all that. They have a tied own strap. It's more secure than a tail ring. They have a tail skid if you want it from Airtime Aviation. Either pilot or co-pilot stick is removable. I know people that have them out. There are 2-3 different types of foot rest out there and they make a camera window.

Thanks Roger, My main concern would be stick removal (just a line plug for the PTT ) but didn't know it was legal. The camera window will come. Foot rest is easy when i get my RoundTuit and I give up on the hat shelf.

The right or left stick is easy to remove. You lift up the stick skirt which is only held by Velcro and it has a bolt right through the stick that comes right out. If you were going to put it in and out on a regular basis then replace the bolt with a Clovis pin and safety ring. The PTT wires can be unplugged down on the stick.

Hat rack would be high on my list, but not for hats;charts etc.

Better wing tip strobes and beacon.

Larger nose fork to allow bigger tire. Should have got the tundra option but let the distributor talk me out of it.

Would also like an electrical system to support higher loads.

Some type of roller shade for upper window.

Keep us posted on your changes.

As an ELSA, my modifications are fairly modest. I modified the regulator to provide a decent float voltage, 13.7V (was very low 12.9V), used an LED landing light, am planning on switching to AVEO wingtips and will need to filter the voltage to use those. The LED landing light and improved voltage has eliminated all problems with low battery warnings at engine idle. I run with #2 needle position which saves about 10% fuel consumption. Deciding if I will put in a L/R/Both tank selector switch. Still can't manage anything more than an 800mile trip so some long range tanks would be nice. Seriously, the reasonable mods I would like is dampers on the oil cooler and mixture control. The latter you can have automatically with the 912iS but is that engine a drop-in for the 912ULS mount and CTSW cowling?

The L/R would be easier than trimming in flight. I usually end up with 4-5 more gallons in one tanks after a long trip. On the ground, you could top off the plane and not worry about tarmac tilt or a flat tire causing a fuel spill. I was sort of kidding about the tanks since she's pretty long range as it is compared to other small planes, but I would love to be able to reach Hilo. I'd need an extra 45 gallons to do that.

Archived