Another backup AHRS solution

opticsguy

I was at the Adventure Pilot booth and they were demonstrating the Levil AHRS G with the iFly 720. The Levil is the size of a cigarette pack you could velcro onto your mushroom, and runs for 8 hours on a charge. It will talk wirelessly to the iFly or be hard wired. The next 720 update will have a six-pack instrument that you can toggle back and forth from the moving map. I believe the Levil box is $700 (not sure).

I've tried using my tablet in the cockpit, and it is just not bright enough. For $1500, you can have a backup AHRS and moving maps/plates.

• 2 weeks later...

The little black box from Levil is $795.00. I am glad they are making one at all, but someone will make a cheaper little black box. Everyone who wants glass will have it soon.

Looks to me like the Ipad will have the best resolution EFIS apps. Finding a good place to put it in the CT may be the next invention. The synthetic vision apps. with the Levil AHRS unit already on the Ipad make the new Dynon pocket EFIS look a little crude and wanting. It would sure be an upgrade to a Cub.

It's just hard for me to believe the Ipad (or a smaller Ipad) will not capture the business Dynon and Garmin mainly supply now. The picture and flexibility are too good and synthetic vision on apps. is coming on strong and fast.

Archived