Fuel Filler Assembly Lost in Flight

robthart

A member of our flying club ('08 CTLS) was returning from a cross-country, and on landing discovered that the entire pilot side fuel filler assembly had departed the wing in flight, and siphoned out most of his fuel. Note from the photo that the only thing holding this in place is epoxy... be cautious when refueling and insure the (heavy) nozzle is held and not allowed to lean against the assembly frame (the presumed cause)!

post-581-0-14476700-1343848386_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-97585300-1343848411_thumb.jpg

Good advice for any airplane but certainly for the LS.

I assume the pilot didn't notice any spray enroute or yo'd have mentioned it. Do you have any idea how much was lost and how long it took to lose it?

I see you are out of Des Moines. I fly out of Iowa City.

Good advice for any airplane but certainly for the LS.

I assume the pilot didn't notice any spray enroute or yo'd have mentioned it. Do you have any idea how much was lost and how long it took to lose it?

I see you are out of Des Moines. I fly out of Iowa City.

Based at Ankeny KIKV 'neighbor,' he was returning from Chicago area so fortunately had good quantity aboard. Landed with 3 gallons, no hint of problem enroute, only way of truly monitoring something like this would be the sight tubes (but how many of us really include that in our usual scan?).

Thanks for the picture. Please keep us posted on the repair process. I know that the epoxy, which is called Epiflex, is as hard as concrete.

FD fedexed the replacement parts & advised local FBO was authorized for this type of repair, plane back up in less than a week.

Based at Ankeny KIKV 'neighbor,' he was returning from Chicago area so fortunately had good quantity aboard. Landed with 3 gallons, no hint of problem enroute, only way of truly monitoring something like this would be the sight tubes (but how many of us really include that in our usual scan?).

When flying cross country I always check the sight tubes to insure that I am keeping the fuel level even in the tanks. That a trimming wings level while on the autopilot for the same reason.

Is this a situation where a Safety of Flight report to FD USA is appropriate?

http://documents.flightdesignusa.com/safety%20of%20flight%20fillableF.pdf

Does the FAA get notified of this kind of item?

All of us have been taught and teach to not let a fuel nozzle put pressure on the filler neck, but this is the worst example I've seen for a long time. What inspection criteria should we be using? Should there be a mod so that the filler neck can not depart the airplane?

Is this a situation where a Safety of Flight report to FD USA is appropriate?

http://documents.flightdesignusa.com/safety%20of%20flight%20fillableF.pdf

Does the FAA get notified of this kind of item?

All of us have been taught and teach to not let a fuel nozzle put pressure on the filler neck, but this is the worst example I've seen for a long time. What inspection criteria should we be using? Should there be a mod so that the filler neck can not depart the airplane?

Jim, it's unfortunate but there are a whole bunch of pilots out there that don't know any better. I,ve seen several do it a self serve fueling farms at airports. They get the hose out stivk it in the tank then go put their credit card in. 15-20 years ago you just pulled up and let the line boy fuel for you. I've alway made sure to hold the nozzle without putting any pressure on the filler neck, and have taught it to all who have fueled airplanes for me.

I'm the maintenance officer for this airplane. FD advised me to buy the fuel filler assembly at Aircraft Spruce and they shipped the adhesive. Our regular A&P was out of town for the week so I took the aircraft to the FBO at our field. They did the repair after some consultation with FD.

Arian at FD recommended that both surfaces be scuffed with 60 grit sandpaper prior to repair.

I will be filling out a safety of flight report tonight or tomorrow as this incident could certainly have been much worse.

Three recommendations I have for all our pilots...

1. We'll be watching the line folks fueling this aircraft every time in the future.

2. Looping a finger inside the fuel ring and giving a pull when sticking the tank as part of the pre-flight.

3. Make a habit of checking the sight tubes in flight to monitor actual fuel quantities.

Stuart

No way... imagine the damage that thing would cause, flailing around at 120 MPH, at the end of some sort of safety wire...

Tim

Not at all what I had in mind. I had in mind a total redesign of the neck in such a way that it was screwed into the tank. As one example (I'm sure there are many more and better) two semicircle pieces of metal go in the tank and are then formed into a circle and the screws go down through the neck.

Jim,

Many may have been taught better or know better instinctively, but my experience has been that owners are generally easier on the equipment because of the direct link to their wallet.

Archived