Insurance Cost...is this number about correct

FlyingMonkey

I just got an insurance quote from Falcon. I am a low time Sport Pilot (45 hours total, all in LSA), with zero hours in a CT. Falcon quoted me $1818, which is about what I expected based on quotes for other plane I have gotten. This includes $1M liability, $100K per passenger limits, and full coverage (no deductibles) for in motion events in flight and on the ground.

HOWEVER, the quote excludes "ground not in motion" coverage, which bumps the quote about $1200 to a hair over $3K. That seems high for not in motion coverage; the loss risk on an airplane sitting in the hangar is surely not 66% as much as it is when it's flying/taxiing! Anyhow, I know I'm low time and I expected it to be on the high side...my only question is whether this is "normal high" or "too high."

Also, are there any "tricks" to lowering insurance rates? Taking a high deductible, omitting certain coverages, etc? I might be financing so the bank might have the final say in what coverage I have to carry.

Thoughts?

I'm paying about $1400 for liability and a $85,000 hull. That's with 300 hours and private pilot license. I've not even looked at the "not in motion" thing.

So is that something most people don't carry? What if your hangar catches fire and burns your plane to a cinder?

BTW, my quote was based on a $70K hull. If you have 300hrs and are paying $1400 for coverage similar to mine without the not-moving coverage, then I seem to be getting a pretty good deal with 45hrs and $1818. The quote requires 5hr dual and 15 landings in type before acting as PIC, which seems pretty standard.

Most policies that I've seen cover not in motion, and charge more for in motion hull coverage. Maybe since your from the South where you have a better chance at a hurricane it could be different. I think you should call them and have them explain what is going on.

Most policies that I've seen cover not in motion, and charge more for in motion hull coverage. Maybe since your from the South where you have a better chance at a hurricane it could be different. I think you should call them and have them explain what is going on.

That's what I thought! Here in central GA we don't really get a huge amount of extreme weather. An occasional tornado and some strong thunderstorms, but not as bad as many other states.

Hmmmm... mine, for Air-Pros.com (shimer), is $1546. Chartis-Aero. No Deductibles, and nothing about excluding anything. Not-in-motion is defined, but not specifically mentioned, except saying -$0- deductible under that category. $100K. PPL, 500 hours, no accidents.

I got my '06 CTSW insured through Falcon as well. A couple of hundred $$ less, and no exclusion for ground-not-in-motion coverage. I was a student at the time with only ~25 hours.

That exclusion seems odd to me. I know that the FBO that hangars my plane is insured in case of damage while hangared, but it's good to know I'm also insured if I've got it tied down at another airport and a hailstorm comes through or another plane taxis into it.

-Russ

So is that something most people don't carry? What if your hangar catches fire and burns your plane to a cinder?

BTW, my quote was based on a $70K hull. If you have 300hrs and are paying $1400 for coverage similar to mine without the not-moving coverage, then I seem to be getting a pretty good deal with 45hrs and $1818. The quote requires 5hr dual and 15 landings in type before acting as PIC, which seems pretty standard.

I pulled out the policy. $1M liability, $85K hull, not in motion with a $100 deductible, and a bunch of odd stuff like search and rescue, runway foaming and airplane recovery after a crash. $1582.

I have Falcon coverage too. My first year with (nearly) zero CTLS time was $2000. This year with 220 hours in the aircraft it is down to $1340. I'm satisfied with the coverage and they respond nearly immediately to questions by e-mail.

Falcon is an independent agent that quotes policies from multiple carriers. I have coverage purchased through Falcon, in my case the policy is underwritten by QBE (an Australian carrier, well rated, that recently started writing in the USA). My policy has full hull coverage (in motion or not in motion makes no difference). I use a hull value of $140,000 for my new CTLS and the policy price was $1948.00 (Sport Pilot, relatively low hours).

I forgot to mention... You can choose the hull value (bank will want it to be at least the amount of their loan). All policies have a 0 deductible so in essence you create the deductible by picking the hull value. My new plane cost $152,000.00 I paid cash, have no loan. I use $140,000 as the hull value and therefore have created a $12,000 deductible should my plane get totaled and I need to buy a replacement.

Falcon is an independent agent that quotes policies from multiple carriers. I have coverage purchased through Falcon, in my case the policy is underwritten by QBE (an Australian carrier, well rated, that recently started writing in the USA). My policy has full hull coverage (in motion or not in motion makes no difference). I use a hull value of $140,000 for my new CTLS and the policy price was $1948.00 (Sport Pilot, relatively low hours).

Looking at the quote, mine is also QBE. But why is mine $3000 for what you have??

Looking at the quote, mine is also QBE. But why is mine $3000 for what you have??

I will call my contact there and ask why the disconnect. Could be one of us is just misreading the policy? (either I'm not covered or you are for the original quoted number). I find it hard to believe that QBE would have changed their policy over the last 3 months (when I got mine for the new plane).

There are only a handful of carriers who underwrite general aviation. My previous policy was USAIG (also through Falcon). I will call in the morning and report back.

I will call my contact there and ask why the disconnect. Could be one of us is just misreading the policy? (either I'm not covered or you are for the original quoted number). I find it hard to believe that QBE would have changed their policy over the last 3 months (when I got mine for the new plane).

There are only a handful of carriers who underwrite general aviation. My previous policy was USAIG (also through Falcon). I will call in the morning and report back.

I would certainly be curious. As I said, I'm a very low time pilot and expect pretty high rates, but that number seems a bit out of line.

All right, you guys have made me a believer in Chris Wolbert! His best number so far is $1440, or less than half the number I got for similar coverage through EAA/Falcon. That is $1M/$100k liability, $70k hull, and in motion ground and air and not in motion with zero deductible. That makes my day, and makes planning a CT purchase much nicer. BTW, that quote was through AIG.

Hi Doug,

We have suggested Chris at Aviation Resources before in other post. I hope other people have taken advantage. That said looking at some of my friends and other posters here some other companies depending on your hours and coverage are just as good. It just goes to show you have to shop around. This is why our forum is so important to the 360 CT fliers in the US and of course our friends overseas. We all have something to bring to the table and share.

I have just recieved a $55.00 reduction on my monthly insurance by forwarding that Cirrus post regarding the BRS to my insurer, this puts my monthly to $184.00 How do our monthly premiums compare to the other countries?

Regards to All

Bruce

Archived