Augmented Reality Airports

CT4ME

This looks like a great idea...

While you're flying, point your iPhone/iPad out the window, pan it around, and see all the closest airports...

arport.jpg

It's a new App from Paul Mace, longtime pilot and techno geek (remember the Mace Utilities back in the DOS days?)

Here's the description of the App:

ARPort uses your iPhone or iPad camera and the magic of Augmented Reality to let you see all the airports around you anywhere in the USA or its territories.

ARPort marks the closest 20 Airports in the USA within 25 nautical miles of your position. As you scan with the camera you see the airport tagged and identified where it actually is in the landscape outside.

Aim the target box just below an airport's tag to see its distance and bearing.

Tap the tag, or tap the target box, to see an airport's full name, field elevation and length of its longest runway.

=-=-=-=-=-=- Anybody tried it yet? (I can't... iPad1 = no camera)

tim

OK. It's real. Bought it and installed on the wife's iPhone. Installation took 30 seconds and the application takes several seconds to "load airport data" when firing it up. (no Internet connection required after installation)

'Went out into the back yard and walked in a circle. Dang, it worked! All the local airports showed up right where you'd expect them to be. Then I took it on a drive... the accuracy is much better/smoother when you are moving. Next step... Flight test (coming soon)!

If it turns out to be accurate, the wife is going to really like this... she's Co-Pilot and chief navigator. She keeps us "situationally aware", following the map/gps and constantly saying "out that way should be a little 'strip called XXX". This seems to have all the airports, plus the little, private, airstrips.

Tim

Hi Tim. You guys keep reporting on these neat apps that are on the iPads and phones and I'm going to finally have to buy one. This App seems to be similar to the IPhone App which allows one to point the iPhone to the sky at nite and it tells which constellations, stars and planets one is pointing the phone at.

This is pretty badass...makes me wonder what other amazing goodies people will come up with for these devices.

In other tablet news, here's a video I made yesterday, using the X-Plane 10 flight sim and "spoofed" GPS data to get Garmin Pilot to display real-time data from the simulation. This is using an Android Nexus 7, but the same should be possible on a iPad if the appwere developed. I have both the iPad 3 and the Nexus, and they are both very sweet devices.

X-Plane & Garmin Pilot

Tim,

Can you see airports behind when you point the camera at the bulkhead?

Good question! I'll give it a try. I expect the airports will show up, but will be overlayed on a picture of the bulkhead... :huh:

Tim

Yup... we went out over the weekend (

), into an area that had a lot of little 'strips. Turns out, there were just too many! Just East of E63, there are maybe 16 airstrips, many just scratches in the desert. But, they all showed up, took up the whole dang screen, and almost overloaded the program's ability to calculate and show them in real time. :blink:

The developer emailed users to advise us of a bug, but it didn't affect me (only those in Florida). He let us know the update had been posted to the APP store, but the Apple vetting process takes a few days.

AVWeb story

tim

Archived