AirGizmo LOA?

Doug G.

Doug,

I installed an airgizmo and a Garmin 696 into my old CTSW (N531CT). My avionics shop filled out the paperwork, we sent it to FD USA and they approved the upgrade without fee. They had published instructions to follow for performing the upgrade that they sent me. I will attach a copy of the paperwork on Monday (It's on my office computer). Pic attached shows the finished product.

post-124-0-93003600-1347065953_thumb.jpg

I wish I could take one of their 3 week staggered courses. Just too damn much on my professional plate to "getter done" at this stage in my life! On the 696, my avionics guy used the old faceplate as a template and made a new one out of aluminum. The faceplate on your bird looks like aluminum but its really a composite board with a silver colored veneer. My guy was concerned that with the SL40, GTX330 and 696 Airgizmo there wouldn't be enough strength left in the fiber board to hold it all together. As a result he went to real aluminum so that it would have strength and not break apart in flight! The airgizmo takes a little more space from the already crowded panel. (Thought I'd mention that to you in case it stimulates any thoughts on your install).

Adam, the install is classy. Really a nice layout with the Garmin xponder and radio still there but lowered and the relocated cabin and engine heat controls. Please attach paperwork for install if you can. I've got a 495 and would like to go to a 696 like this.

Thanks Dick. I will post all the paperwork (both my submission and FDUSA's response) on this thread here tomorrow. I would suspect that anyone who follows my paperwork will receive a summary approval at no cost like I did. In case anyone in So Cal needs an avionics shop to do this, Ray Wolfbrant at Alpha Avionics (Garmin Dealer, Installer at KTOA, Torrance) did mine.

For those who requested... Here are copies of the documents I submitted to FDUSA to get my Garmin 696 and airgizmo upgrade approved in my old CTSW. Also attached is their response (approved in Germany) along with some instructions that were given after the fact. Upon receipt I had my avionics shop sign the docs from FDUSA. The avionics shop did make entries into my log books and updated the master equipment list. I also placed all of the associated documents into my maintenance binder that I kept to document all work performed to the plane during my ownership. When I sold the plane everything went to the new owner so he had records of all work done and so that future owners would know that all modifications had been done with appropriate approvals.

MRA-LSA 06-12-11.pdf

PZ01000045_00_10-12-004.pdf

• 1 month later...

Archived