Another broken carb drip tray

Jim

I was out doing some owner PM this afternoon and noticed the right side drip tray cable tie was gone and one of the support wings was broken off. This is the second time this has happened. 360 hours on the engine. The left side broke at about 280 hours. Any suggestions other than check the cable ties every few hours?

I have a fix that has an LOA. It is under the LOA main post here on the forum. We have been doing this for about 5 years. I would recommend that all CTSW's do it as the trays will eventually break at the tabs because of the small washer support which will also allow the trays to crack at the edges. I just did one 2 days ago that had a broken tab.

Get some 1" x 6mm or some 1/4" fender washers. You'll need 8 of them. Four will remain intact. Four need to be cut so there is a flat straight edge very close to the hole. So the washer now looks like a quarter with about 1/8" cut off one side. These will go under the 90 degree coolant flange screw on the #3 and #4 screw where the drip tray flange slides under. The other washers that are still intact go under the drip tray screw on the outside. The coolant flange screws are plenty long enough, but the outside drip tray screw may need to be a little longer. You will have to remove the 4 screws that hold the air intake manifold down and each side as you work on each side to access these inside flange screws. After the washers are in place leave them a little loose and slide the drip tray tabs in between the large fender washers. Then tighten the screws down to 90 in/lbs. Put a new plastic wire tie on each. They shouldn't break again with the large support area of the washers. This takes me about 45 min to do both sides and cut the washers.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=100

The FD fleet approval for this mod is mine and the Pics are from my plane, so are others in the FD LOA's. I have to use them and test these mods before I send in a report to FD to get the LOA's. If you have Matco's on an LS or retrofitted your SW that was from testing on my SW. Once in a while you may find a mod here in Tucson that is being tested before paperwork gets submitted.

Hi dggrant,

I took no offence and I'm good.biggrin.gif I saw your smiley face. Not much ever bothers me.

I usually always research and test all my mods before I send LOA's in for approval so I know they work or help. If they went in prematurely then it could be an issue for owners. Technically it is backwards doing the testing first, but it is the best way. If it doesn't work, like using different types of wing fuel vents, then there is no mis-information put through FD or out to other owners. Most want to do a mod to just their plane and I try to find common solutions for the fleet so my approach is a little different.

p.s.

This is one reason I dislike emails and forum post is you can't always discern the tone , seriousness or joking inference at times in a post.

p.s.s.

You have a range of emotions or smiley faces up in the edit bar.

Yeah, in the full version but most of the time I am using my Android tablet, and I only have the traditional emoticons available. Thanks for the info. I wonder though what keeps things from basically being experimental -- do it first, then see if you can get it okayed?

I wouldn't always call it above board, but sometimes an LOA may take 8 months and if they issued an LOA then the testing failed it would be a problem. I have talk to FD first at times and got a verbal okay, but haven't done that as much when the LS's came out. I did more on the SW and only a few items for the LS. Some mods can be useful on both. This drip tray mod is only good for the SW the LS has a totally different factory setup. Matter of fact I did a drip tray mod today and last Friday. Both had broken trays due to the small screw that holds them down. The vibration on that small area causes them to flex and break.

Archived