Black hole under seat

chanik

On the topic of plane quirks, I have to say that letting anything slip under the seat while in flight is a serious hazard. There is so much deep space under there that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to reach anything once it drops down there without totally unbuckling and popping the seat up off the rails. I had to have my passenger fetch the sectional I needed using the tank-dipstick to fish it out. Took 5 minutes of unbelted fidgeting.

for sure! I've taken to keeping light, bulky items there, like a ziplock bag filled with microfibre rags, or the fold-up sun screen. In some cases, they prevent other things from falling in.

BTW... thanx to the avionics guy who lost a nice pair of wire cutters into that hole... but it hardly offsets his $500-no-fix radio job he did for me!laugh.gif

On a similar note.... 'just about impossible to fetch anything that drops behind the pedals, while in flight. Pens, cameras, water bottles... you name it. I've half-heartedly thought about carrying one of those fold-up grabber tools.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Your post really had me laughing. Black hole is a great description. I may have set the record by losing an entire Zaon MRX down there on the way from AZ to CA. I could hear it beeping but could not find the unit. At least the beeps were set to maximum range...

Someone suggested rolling up a towel, (maybe one of those microfiber towels?) and placing around the front lip of the seats, just under the front edge. This prevents unwanted items from rolling underneath. I'm going to try this. Just had a thought, how about a piece of the foam insulation with a slit in it that one can put around water pipes?

Archived