SD Extension Cable for Garmin 695/6

Ian

I have a CTLS with the GPS 695 mounted in the centre of the console as is standard in most CTLS aircraft.

To get at the SD card slot you have to remove the panel from the console and then release the GPS from its mount.

Having just discovered the ability of the 695/6 to import .fpl files from my flight planning software it seemed an obvious option to try and get an easier way to read from an SD card so I bought an SD extension cable - click here

Now the card/cable works fine when connected to my PC, but the Garmin does not see any files on the card when used via the cable - the files ARE seen by the import function in the Flight Plan section when the card is directly in the slot in the GPS

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian

• 1 month later...

Ian,

I am about to install a 696 in my CTLS and not wanting to go through the pain of uninstalling the GPS to save my tracks and update the device, I got a SD extender cable. Like you, the cable works fine with my computers but when inserted into the Garmin, the 696 does not register the card at all. When I insert just the card itself, viola, it works. Having broken and repaired a number of computers over the years I suspect the Garmin 696 will not read a card attached to it by an extender cable. Since I have an LOA for the Airgizmos mount, I'm going that way. It takes up a little more room in the panel, but it gives me easy access to the SD card.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but at least you know others are having the same issue.

Lee

Archived