CFI's training ATP's as Sport Pilots

Ed Bandy

Just a quick note, as a CFI Sport I recently checked out for rental of a CTsw purposes, a retired ATP AA Captain who had not lost his medical but had allowed it to expire along with all of his ATP ratings due to an accident in which he was hurt badly. Now ten years later, after I checked him out in the CTsw, I learned that an ATP, even though he has allowed everything to expire, does not require an endorsement in his log book to fly into Bravo, Charlie or Delta airspace. I am always learning.

The way I see it you are still rated at your pilot certificate level, but without the medical you can only exercise the privileges of a sport pilot in an LSA. You certificate does not downgrade only what you can do with it. The endorsements for airspace and Vh would apply to a sport pilot certificate only.

Just a quick note, as a CFI Sport I recently checked out for rental of a CTsw purposes, a retired ATP AA Captain who had not lost his medical but had allowed it to expire along with all of his ATP ratings due to an accident in which he was hurt badly. Now ten years later, after I checked him out in the CTsw, I learned that an ATP, even though he has allowed everything to expire, does not require an endorsement in his log book to fly into Bravo, Charlie or Delta airspace. I am always learning.

Question . . .

Did the retired ATP AA Captain have a SEL rating on his FAA certificate?

The only pilot certificates that expire are the instructor certificates, so he is still an ATP. If he has been out for 10 years you need to make sure he has the new plastic pilot certificate, or he is not legal to exercise any piloting privileges.

Archived