iPad or android logbook app?

JimD

Could I see a show of hands of those using some sort of logbook app?

I was thinking about trying the logten app on the ipad but have not bought it yet because I need another iTunes card in my account in order to buy it. (I'm cheap). I have used a database app that I created myself on my old treo. It worked pretty good but I ended up with an android about a year ago and did not want to re code the database.

What if anything are you guys using and how do you like it? I am going to need to track my personal time as well as dual given.

Thanks,

Jim

The difficult thing for me is that light sport pilot rules require you carry your logbook (because of the endorsements). Has anyone ever had the FAA ask about this?

Have your instructor make additional endorsements on a card, laminate it and carry in your wallet.

I'd suggest an SP not carry their logbook. It is not required by FAR 61.51 and only bad things could happen while doing so. An FAA inspector could demand the book during a ramp check, you could just flat lose it or it could be destroyed in an accident (and you would have a difficult time proving your time for insurance purposes). The relavent part of the FAR:

3) A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights.

Make a copy of your endorsements, laminate them and put them in your wallet.

In the case of electronic logbooks, I understand that some allow electronic signatures and can print out endorsement pages (which could be signed and scanned back in).

I've been on the fence for more than a year on using an electronic logbook. Any personal experiences?

I just started using a droid log book app that Tim posted. Its very simple and the interface is fine for the phone. I like being able to speak a narrative into the entry.

Next I signed up at the web site so I could sync but the sync doesn't work. Eventually I decided I don't care I don't need to sync.

I only need my BFR so I am going to stick that in my wallet. If I need to demonstrate currency I guess I could show the entries in my phone.

Basically I like it.

Although I agree with the dangers of carrying your logbook, it is explicitly required to carry evidence of the endorsements. I wonder if a scan is enough? Sounds like it would fit the requirements of "evidence." The lamination idea is a good one. (I might have difficulty getting my instructor to redo them because he is now flying charter.) Thanks.

Doug G.

Archived