Water thermostat mounting

Doug G.

Hello all,

I recently tightened a very difficult hose clamp on the water pump because it was leaking. I just found out that I probably fixed a symptom rather than the problem.

My water thermostat is actually sitting on the bottom cowl - probably a recent development because there is little wear. There is no sign of how it was suspended before. Niether the Rotax or the FD manual give me any help. It looks like it is only suspended by the hoses, and, I think this one was probably modified. (It has a 90 degree metal elbow in one of the hoses.) If I had to guess it was held in place by zip ties.

Can anyone tell me how the thermostat is supposed to be held up?

Thanks,

Doug G.

Dggrant,

The relevant reg here is FAR 43.3(d). As a repairman, you are allowed to supervise someone (pilot or other individual) performing maintenance that you are authorized to perform. You just need to fully understand FAR 65.107, and insure that you are in compliance with its requirements before supervising. However, FAR 43.3(d) does not allow the supervising of required inspections.

One of my points with regard the the FD inspection checklist relates to these very rules, in that even though the FD checklists have notations in them that authorize pilots/owners to perform certain inspection items, this is contrary to the above noted rule (43.3(d)). That is why I have said before, that FD has no legal authority to say who can perform mx. on the aircraft (inspections are by definition a type of maintenance).

Doug Hereford

THe Flight Design CTLS parts and assembly manual has a drawing of it on page 52.

I'll look for that when I get to the hangar - probably tomorrow. Thanks Bruce & Roger. It helps to know what I am looking for! I know my setup is not exactly as shown here,.

Roger, did any CTLS's you know of come from the factory with a 90 degree meal elbow close to the thermostat? Mine is a 2010 version.

Archived