EGT Reading

Al Downs

Have not seen a SBN indication, but have seen a SPN indication along with one of my egt probes reading -99 deg at ambient temp. I pulled the probe with the bad reading, cleaned it off and reinstalled, it seemed to work fine. Of course I had already bought a replacement probe thinking it was bad.

Hi Al,

It means the temp spread is wider than about 115F-120F. This is caused by a poor wire contact where they plug in or you can pull the probe out and clean it off or you have put the header wrap cloth on top of the probe where it enters the pipe. Last, but not least the probe is on its way out. After you check the other easy things and if you need a new one they can be purchased from Dynon or Spruce and are inexpensive. If I remember about $30 or so. If you are having other instrument issues along with this then check your grounds

Hi Al,

It means the temp spread is wider than about 115F-120F. This is caused by a poor wire contact where they plug in or you can pull the probe out and clean it off or you have put the header wrap cloth on top of the probe where it enters the pipe. Last, but not least the probe is on its way out. After you check the other easy things and if you need a new one they can be purchased from Dynon or Spruce and are inexpensive. If I remember about $30 or so. If you are having other instrument issues along with this then check your grounds

hi Roger,

what is SBN?.

what is this for?.

Archived