How to bleed the oil system with thermostat

FlyRatz

Hi CT fellows,

I need to install a new engine in a CTSW and while thinking about it, I have a unanswered question.

I know, that it is essential for the engine, to bleed the oil system very accurately and to follow the appropriate SB very strict. I did this several times.

Now I need to install the new engine with an external oil thermostat and as you might know, this device shortcuts the radiator if cold. If I bleed the oil system in cold condition, how can i be sure, the radiator is bleeded as well? Couldnt it be, that I fill only the hoses and leave the radiator empty? I fear, this could lead to an apocalypse if the oil becomes warm and the thermostat opens the line to the radiator in which case the engine will get a lot of air instead of oil???

Is there a best practice? How do you experts manage this challenge??

Looking forward for your ideas

Markus

Hi Markus,

No worries,

Just pre-fill the oil cooler and hoses with oil. You don't need every little speck of air out when doing this. The thermostat does not block all the oil when cold there is a small hole for by-pass. After you pre-fill the cooler just follow the normal procedures for an oil purge. You'll be just fine. It's pretty straight forward.

Hi Roger,

thank you for your quick and accurate answer.

When it comes to air in the oil system, I am a bit paranoiac :D

With the black hoses, you cannot see if all the air is out of the system. Nevertheless, I will do as you say. Maybe I will support the bleeding by heating up the thermostat with a hot air gun (carefully)?

Best to you

Markus

Archived