Windows 8 aviation apps

CT4ME

My head is spinning after watching the Windows 8 announcement event... I immediately starting thinking how it might affect aviation. We'll soon have devices that run full-blown PC versions of software, and "Apps", too. These devices cover everything from phones to tablets to laptops and desktop PCs. The tablets are similar to iPads or Android tablets, with the same sizes and battery life (maybe even more).

Does this mean we'll see "Windows" or "Windows RT" versions of WingX, Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, etc? Or will the older,almost forgotten laptop flight-planning products, be refreshed and re-released as Windows "Apps"? What do developers think about the opportunities... or is it a PITA to have another platform?

Just wonderin'

Tim

The big question is whether MS has an aggressive plan to get programmers to supply for this platform. It can't be a short burst thing the market is owned by Apple. There have been excellent devices that have been unable to hold on because of a lack of software availability - the Amiga comes immediately to mind.

There's a lot of people "hooked" on Word, Excel, etc., and Win8 will still have this. If the apps start coming in for Win8 which mimic the Apple apps and one can work with USB devices and manage files, photos, Powerpoint, etc., like currently can be done with WinXP and Win7, I might consider buying MS stock again.

I was thinking about the MS Surface tablet, not Win8. I use Word, Excel, etc. I also access them via my Android tablet. I use a W&B worksheet customized for my plane. I think 9922Z posted it.

I rarely use my tablet in the cockpit because my Dynon 10" displays and 696 give me most of the info I need. It ends up a backup to tne backup. I do use it for flight planning because some of the apps make it a lot easier.

We'll probably buy Win8 for our other machines, but I don't expect to be using the touchscreen features anytime soon.

Hi Doug. I was refering to Tim's indication that tablet's will have the apps plus the software to allow management of files. If the new tabets running Win8 provide the Apple apps plus have versions of MS software that allow the file management currently found on PC's, this will be a powerful setup and I may be looking for a tablet to use in my CT running Win8 OS due to this. I don't have glass panel and would like to add a tablet for weather and navigation plus have the ability to use the tablet for the things I'm doing with my PC.

You mention you use a W&B sheet that "N9922Z" provided. I'm N9922Z ;) Happy to see that you got some use from my W&B spreadsheet.

I kinda wondered if it was you. It was quite a while ago that I started using it. Nice spreadsheet, Thanks. I just heard a story on NPR this morning talking about the lack of current apps for Win8. Of course they compared it to the quarter million available for the iPad, and commented that people actually bought Apple devices just to play Angry Birds. MS is now almost always in "catch up" mode. The only really innovative product since Windows came out has been the XBox.

MS has tried to be a a software company that sells hardware, they have not had a lot of success. I have a Zune - MS answer to the iPod. It works well, but did not sell, they no longer make them. I suspect the same will be true of the Surface.

On the other hand I think Apple will not be able to replace Jobs and eventually they will run out of innovations (they may already have with the incremental changes in iOS, iPhone, and the "big deal" mini form factor iPad.

-My two cents (well ok, maybe it was more like a nickle.) :)

I remember when IBM handed them the DOS (disk operating system) they had on their smaller main frames so they could concentrate on the PC manufacturing. That was the start of Microsoft and the only thing they did right was the first windows (remember the fish ?)

I remember when IBM handed them the DOS (disk operating system) they had on their smaller main frames so they could concentrate on the PC manufacturing. That was the start of Microsoft and the only thing they did right was the first windows (remember the fish ?)

This is not correct. IBM did not have an OS for their PC and approached a small startup by the name of Microsoft. Microsoft had a product that allowed CP/M to run on an Apple and IBM was after a less expensive way to license CP/M. MS did not own the rights for resale (CP/M was owned by DEC) so they scarfed up a minor product called QDOS from an even smaller company and rebranded it to MS-DOS then cut the deal with IBM.

Talk about off topic :rolleyes:

In general, I'd agree that MS has not done well in the hardware side of the tech industry but I wouldn't count them out. The Xbox 360 has made them quite few billion $$$$ after all :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that Windows 8 and Windows RT are licensed to other hardware vendors (HP, Dell, etc). The success of Windows 8/Windows RT does not rest solely on the Surface, although that device looks very interesting (PC not tablet). For those of us that currently need both a tablet and laptop, the Surface Windows 8 (or HP, Dell competitor) might allow me to go with one device. The Windows 8 machines will run all the software currently available for Windows 7. This might not satisfy the aviation market (yet) but definitely is something to monitor. Many of the dedicated portable aviation GPS units run Windows CE under the covers and would not present a significant challenge to port to Windows RT. Time will tell.

For now, I'll probably upgrade to iPad 4th gen from my iPad 1 and wait for my firm to buy me an ultrathin Windows 8 machine in a year or so.

Dave, It's a cold rainy day here in Michigan and I'm grounded so I stoped by my computer to see what's happening. I have not gone the iPad route yet - playing around with my friends iPad frustrated me because I couldn't manage any files or receive/send photos of my new grandsons from my daughters. (What? You mean there isn't a USB port that I can plug my thumb drive in and download family pictures???!!!!!) It woud be nice to get an iPad to use in my CT and start playing with all of the neat apps but something tells me that MS won't be sitting on their hands when it comes to integrating their present Excel, Word, etc., and also working with developers to build tablets that match Apples current iPads. Softy may be lagging but it is a huge company with many smart people and a lot of money to back up any R&D programs it deems necessary.

It is surprising that the MS entry in the tablet world doesn't have an integrated GPS and you'd need to go with a Bluetooth or USB external receiver. There are several other cool entries in the Windows RT space (MS has approved over 1000 different hardware platforms) that have an integrated GPS including the Hewlett-Packard ElitePad 900.

MS won't be sitting on their hands when it comes to integrating their present Excel, Word, etc.,
The MS office suite is already available for RT. It remains to be seen what the market does.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived