BRS Handle Location...Why?

FlyingMonkey

I have always wondered...what was FD thinking when they placed the BRS handle? The position seems the absolute worst for getting to and actually deploying the chute. You have to reach around behind you, and then pull at a very awkward and unnatural angle with sufficient force to trigger the system. :wacko:

I understand it makes the cable run to the system short, but seriously, does that really compensate for the clear disadvantages? Has anybody (I guess you'd need an ELSA airworthiness cert) put this someplace better? Even just running it to roughly the same location in the rear, but coming down through the ceiling so that the pull is downward instead of outward, would be a great improvement, it seems to me.

Just musing...

I've experimented with extending the handle with 10-12" of thick nylon cord. Just making a loop that lays in the center console. It makes it much more accessible and provides a much better angle for pulling, but does introduce the small chance of getting caught on something, resulting in an accidental pull.

Tim

That's a good point, it would have to be somewhere NOT convenient for those uses. smile.gif

FWIW centered in the ceiling is exactly where the "little RED handle" is located in the 4,000+ CIRRUS ( plural = CIRRI) flying today. Never heard of an accidental deployment. But there's always tomorrow.

Archived