912is Update

Safety Officer

Just a quick FYI,

Talked to Rotax today about the 912is fuel injected engine. Public maint. classes may not happen until about May or June. So support will be tough to come by for a while. There is a distributor level class tentatively set for Feb. in the Bahamas. It is not open to the public and it's an invitation only. This is not so much a maint. class as an overhaul class, but it may end up as both. Rotax won't have a public class until they get a maint. book out which won't be until the May or June time period. If you choose to work on a 912is then you will need to buy a dongle and take a specialty class. There are 3 levels of maint. on this new engine and the dongle and programs can be up to $1K. Just knowing about FI engines won't work on this engine. An untrained mechanic can easily screw this engine up. Yes Rotax and the other Mfg's kind of put the horse before the cart as far as maint.

I'm trying to get accepted to this class, but it may not happen so I'll keep people informed when I can. You'll run this engine around 5400-5500 all the time for cruise. It likes the higher rpms.Temps and overall performance are about the same as the 912ULS with the exception of reduced emissions and better fuel economy.

Has anyone flown one yet besides the guys in Conneticut? I think there will be one in Iowa within a few weeks. It's suppose to be based just 40 miles from me. I hope to meet the owner and fly with him, and will report back here to give my humble opinion of the difference between it and the carburated CTLS that I fly.

I flew N716JC, a new CTLSI Friday 6.1 hours from our FD West distributor to Santa Rosa. It has the Neuform propeller that matches perfectly to the new 912SI motor. The engine temp stayed cool during climbout even though we were heavy. I took a check ride with Jeremy Capurro of Elite Flight training Thursday morning and I'm glad I did! We had full fuel and we are both big guys. The new CT handled it no problem. We went through emergency procedures and Jeremy helped me with steep turns then did some touch and go's at the busy airspace of North Las Vegas Airport. The torque of the 912IS is a big plus over the previous model, it sounds more throatier too. At 6500 feet cruise, we were showing 127 knots TAS at 3.7 GPH fuel burn! Yes the engine likes the higher RPM range. I ran it between 5200-5500 RPM. The response is instant. We had to go around some weather and our first leg was 4.7 hours, so I'm glad we had the extra fuel. We could have made it back non-stop, but my passenger could not hold it any longer and we stopped in Los Banos for a pitstop. We got back to Santa Rosa as the sun was setting. Great trip. As we landed my passenger said "you Da Man!" The engine did not heat up as does our CTLS if we climb hard to long. The airplane seems faster, smoother and more powerful, yet is better on the fuel burn. No Bull. We have a winner! I have about 65 hours in the CTLS that I give demos rides in. I love flying that airplane but now I lust after the new model.The boss said not to put any more time on it as it is for sale. Yes I am excited. Watch out competition, we are going to have a great 2013!

I'll post some photos later.

Ron

Archived