New Land Speed Record Video

Runtoeat

Hi Doug. The record you mention was attained with the ThrustSSC, a jet powered car which didn't require a drivetrain. This "car" also broke the sound barrier which was the first time a wheeled land vehicle had done so which was also a new record. The speeds, especially those of the jet car, are totally beyond my ability to comprehend for a land based vehicle. What impressed me with the wheel driven, piston powered record was the noise and video of the engine and drivetrain supporting the speed. How they keep this screaming equipment from exploding at these rotational speeds is also beyond my comprehension.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a ground speed record set at Edwards AFB years ago. It was the first supersonic ground run... but there was no boom (apparently they were just barely above the speed of sound). The car was a jet engine and cowling on wheels with a fin in the back and a man in front. When they realized that the jet wasn't going to get them going fast enough, they strapped the rocket motor from a sidewinder missile to the base of the tail fin for an extra boost.

Mike Koerner

Archived