Has anybody experienced this issue ?

ralarcon

hmmmm... with the color and "rings" it looks like that area was submerged in water.... see the 1/3" white-ish area behind the bolt, and the discoloration around the composite in that area. Any chance? How is the drain hole in that area?

Tim

hmmmm... with the color and "rings" it looks like that area was submerged in water.... see the 1/3" white-ish area behind the bolt, and the discoloration around the composite in that area. Any chance? How is the drain hole in that area?

Tim

No drain hole, and tail was never submerged in water. Kept in Hangar at KTMB 2 years , hangar at KLAL last 6 mo.

Thanks for the response, Cheers.

I see you live in Lakeland, FL.

The problem with the southern states is not just the rain, but the humidity. Anything will rust that can. Quite a while back I recommended that anyone that lives in a humid climate and no matter whether the plane is store in or out would highly benefit from spraying any steel part with some Boeing T-9 to shield it from moisture. I works like a charm. Of course the ideal thing would be to get to it and change it out. If you drop the underfin is this where the screw would be located?

I see yo live in Lakeland, FL.

The problem with the southern states is not just the rain, but the humidity. Anything will rust that can. Quite a while back I recommended that anyone that lives in a humid climate and no matter whether the plane is store in or out would highly benefit from spraying any steel part with some Boeing T-9 to shield it from moisture. I works like a charm. I don't think you can get back to it to clean it up. Of course the ideal thing would be to get to it and change it out. If you drop the underfin is this where the screw would be located?

Thanks for your advice, the bolts are being replaced , and I will suggest your recommendation to my mechanic. And you are correct, the AC. was previously owned by my brother who lives in Miami, I live in Valrico Fl. and the plane is hangared at Lakeland Linder AP. just a few miles away. Your input is appreciated.

Cheers

I think it would be unwise to attempt to just "clean up" that area, assuming there's any load at all on that bolt and nut.

It's just too hard to determine how deep the corrosion goes, and once I had the rusty parts out to inspect them I'd go ahead and replace them with new parts.

That also looks like it might be "dissimilar metal" corrosion, possibly started if an improper bolt, nut or washer was used. That can be insidious and leave little indication of what's going on beneath the surface.

I think it would be unwise to attempt to just "clean up" that area, assuming there's any load at all on that bolt and nut.

It's just too hard to determine how deep the corrosion goes, and once I had the rusty parts out to inspect them I'd go ahead and replace them with new parts.

That also looks like it might be "dissimilar metal" corrosion, possibly started if an improper bolt, nut or washer was used. That can be insidious and leave little indication of what's going on beneath the surface.

Correct , that is what we intend to do. This bolt and washer came from the manufacturer.

Cheers

There have been instances of water getting into places during a washing... especially with no drain.

tim

Correct, however , when my brother owned the A/C he was well aware that water in the tail, while washing it, could be an issue and he would place a rag in the tail section opening. And be careful to not use excessive water in that area. I have done the same, however I don't know if anybody else, other than him, ever washed this A/C. That could be the crux of the issue. I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

Cheers.

Archived