Fuel Seepage

DavidBhm

I have noticed fuel seepage on the top of both wings from the filler cap to the trailing edge of wings after every flight. It is a small amount but I can see it is coming from the filler cap and has to cleaned after every flight. Is this common with the CTLS or is there something wrong with my filler caps ?

Hi David,

There is no rubber seal on the outside edge like the threaded cap on the SW. It is more on an internal seal so when the cap tab is twisted and pushed flat it engages. The caps can be adjusted to be a little more snug or loose. The adjustment is pretty easy to do. I personally don't usually fill the plane to 17 gals., but only to 15 gals. for my normal every day flights.

Thanks....I will take a look at the caps and see if I can figure out how to adjust. I dont fill my tanks to 17 gals either, it does not matter how much fuel I have in tanks, the seepage occurs after every flight. I flew yesterday and took off with 8 gals left tank and 9 right but the fuel seepage was still there when I landed. As an update, I have not had any further issues with high fuel pressure it seems to have fixed itself as I have flow about 15 hours since that occurred...

David, my bet is that your leak is between the filler flange and the wing socket. I had a weep on my LS and cleaned it off after every flight for a long time. I would tape over the spot with soaring tape to keep the gas from flowing back the wing and onto the flap. Then, a forum member posted pictures of a filler assembly that went missing during a flight. I repaired mine immediately. The only epoxy that was holding mine in was the epoxy that oozed over the top of the flange and bonded to the wing. There was no adhesion to the metal flange at all. I popped my flange out in 2 seconds with a 1 1/4" wooden dowel rod. FD sells epiflex which is a 2 part expoxy. I roughed both surfaces up and set the flange into the epiflex coated wing socket. It has been 6 months with no leaks.

I replaced the o-rings and unfortunately did not stop the seepage........Looks like I will have to purchase new caps, what a disappointment the aircraft is a 2009 with only 400 hours on it. I also tried tightening and loosening bolt on underside of cap with no luck.

Archived