Stuck thermostat?

techman

Taxied to end of runway, did run up, all looked nominal. Went to taxi onto runway and heard a strange guttural sound followed by dynon warning of high cht. Immediately turned off engine, popped cowl (on a private grass strip) and could hear what sounded lie water trickling through thermostat. Overflow looked under pressure. Waited a few minutes and started engine and taxied back to hanger all seemed ok. No issues since. Should I replace the thermostat at next oil change? Anybody else seen this? Plane is 2011 CTLS. My experience with thermostats at least with cars is this rarely happens once. i now do run up at hanger in case issue. Thx.

Any tape on the radiator? Have you checked the coolant level (and oil)?

If these levels are okay then have a mechanic that knows Rotax check the engine.This would be pretty rare this time of year and the thermostats are usually very reliable. You could taxi test and fly it to see if it happens again and just stay close in the pattern.

I did taxi and did several test that Doug Duncan recommended. All checked out fine. i have done several short and one 3 hour flight since with no issues. Temps in low 30s that day had plugged in preheated but as I Sid all looked good. No tape on radiator yet.

Archived