2010 CTLS wheel wanted

Al Downs

Front or main?

Call AirTime Aviation, Tom Guttman, if this is an early CTLS for the Marc Engegno main wheel.

If it is a 2009 or later CTLS then it is a Matco main and front and my bet is you'll have to get that right from Matco.

If it is a Marc Engegno wheel then try John Kupka (863-357-1979) in Florida. He just changed his Marc's out for Matco's and will have some used Marc's.

Hi Al,

Is this the smaller 4.00x6 tire or the 6.00x6 tire? If you have the 6.00x6 then use the Desser 6.00x6. 6 ply Monster tread that has about 3 times more rubber and flats from thorns won't happen. Also use their Leak Guard tube. I only put about 2 psi in my tires once every 3 - 4 months.

Unfortunately the 4.00x6 tires are either 4 or 6 plys and thorns are an issue. The 8 plys work really well against thorns, but they need more psi to keep from slipping on the wheel so they give a much stiffer ride.

Low tire pressure will result many times having the tire move on the wheel then it pulls on the stem and cause a tear. I have seen this at least a dozen times.

If your stems are too hard to get to to check the pressure then then trim your wheel pants up.

If you need more info give me a call.

havnt gotten thru to the Gutmans today. Those wheels have knurled beads on inside and outside bead. I cant believe you are slipping the tire against the rim when braking with those knurled beads. We ran 50 PSI in those tires when i owned it. Maybe you like to keep it softer so the students dont bounce, but i have 480 hours on this 18 month old bird and have never put air in a tire except when changing the originals out for the heavier dresser tires. i think you are using junk tubes. i have an email out to Airtime.

Hi Al,

What tires and who's wheels do you have? This makes a difference.

If it was torn right on the seam where the rim splits my bet is it was pinched, but not enough to cause a leak. Then when the pressure dropped a little the tire moved slightly and that was the end. I have seen this a couple of times. I took one tire apart and it was pinched really bad, but it was so bad the rim halves actually kept it sealed. It had about 3"-4" pinched.

If you have the 8 plys you need at least 45 psi to keep safe from them turning. I know what FD originally said, but you are allowed up to 35 psi where they did their drop test. If you have only 6 plys then 30-35 is good. The front wheel is more critical because of the turning and flexing on the side wall it takes during a taxi and if the pressure is low and especially with the Marc wheels it will turn and pull a stem. The Matco wheels can handle lower pressures and not let the tire turn because it has more metal to rubber contact and roughed up edges. The 8 plys are not a bad tire, but the side walls are so short and stiff they need the extra pressure to keep their shape and keep them from rotating. When I did some research on this with Desser they originally wanted 60+ psi, but after my test were good with 50 psi.

G'day All,

I've got 8 ply Monster retreads on Matco wheels (mains) and run them at 38 PSI.

Done 130 hours and also 130 landings on a variety of surfaces and no problems so far.

Pressure needs some small top up about once a month.

Regards from Down Under,

Duski Don

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for an original tundra main 600x6 wheel for a CTSW. This is the anodized aluminum wheel that came as original equipment on the CTSW. I know that some were replaced with the Matcos and hoping that someone out there saved one that they took off and want to sell..

Let me know,

Larry

email Larry544@Gmail.com

or call 408-821-6902

Archived