Carbon Fiber Crack

WJS

Hi All,

Thank you for the great forum; very informative and educational.

I have noticed a small crack in the carbon fiber on the surface of the peace covering the attachment of the gear to the fuselage. I do not think this part has any significance in the structural integrity of the plane. What is a recommended way of preventing the crack from growing; how can I fix the carbon fiber; is there any recommended resin to be used? I have attached a pdf file with two pictures showing the location of the crack.

Thanks, Wieslaw

929WS

Pics.pdf

Hi Wieslaw,

Cracks in this small cover is usually from a hard landing. Many times it is just the painted surface because it doesn't flex as well as the carbon fiber. It should not get worse unless it gets more stress. The carbon fiber is okay, but if you really want to fix the blemish then it just needs new paint.

To add to what Roger said. The fairing over the gearleg on the LS is made from fiberglass, and not carbon fiber. Like he said it is likely just the paint, primer, and filler that is cracked. Also like he said it is because of the gear flexing. The thing I want to add is you should take the cover loose and slide it down the gear leg and check to make sure you don't have any cracks in the leg. Also you should check that the rubber pads are still in place under the clamp holding the gear leg. I have seen both of these on a LS before. Tom

Archived